Info on Hallicrafters S 120

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"...tomorrow i think i'd want to illuminate the dial with some small bulb or white LED.. that way i can see the dial easier in the dark."

LEDs will be problematical in a receiver of that type but you're in luck. It has two dial lamps wired in series across a resistor in the heater string. Being in series when one burns out the other won't light either so remove them and you should see which one is open. Replace it with the same number on the base and you'll have your illuminated dial back.

tuberadiogeek

The seller never re-listed it, therefore i never got.. That one was the most reasonably priced one on there. I really wanted it, but there is nothing i could do since the seller never re-listed.. If i see another s 120 or wr 600 come up in my price range and i have the money i will get one.. For now i moved on and purchased a vintage stereo receiver- an Onkyo tx 21 and a pair of Wharfendale model 60 speakers.. Thanks for all the information, and i will be back here with other questions in this and similar areas..

tuberadiogeek

UPDATE--- Turns out since i have waited, i found a guy that has an S-120 that has been fully recapped and in working condition. I'm getting it for 40.00 shipped. I plan to pay monday and should have it 3 days later.. I cant wait to hear what's out there on shotwave.

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Premium Subscriber
About your 120

UPDATE--- Turns out since i have waited, i found a guy that has an S-120 that has been fully recapped and in working condition. I'm getting it for 40.00 shipped. I plan to pay monday and should have it 3 days later.. I cant wait to hear what's out there on shotwave.

Someone (before I could warn them against it) purchased an s 200 for me and shipped from ebay as well. I hate to be a wet blanket, but if the 120 is anything like the 200, you are in for an underwhelming surprise. This radio would turn any noob away from listening. I hope they did not pay more than 20 dollars for it.

tuberadiogeek

I'm pretty certain the S-120 is better, as it goes as high as 30-31MHZ and does have a BFO circuit in it so it can get 10 meter and SSB. I havent got it yet, as its going to be a few more days before the guy can ship it.

ridgescan

Are we getting close to the arrival? I for one wanna see it once you get it situated. I have my fingers crossed that it's a success because judging by your passion for tube radios, you deserve to have a great one:) there are a few of us in here who share the passion for the old faithfuls.

tuberadiogeek

Not yet, the guy isnt able to ship it out until tomorrow or saturday so it wont be until tuesday or wensday. The only thing it may need is 1 or 2 resistors, he said 2 are out of tolerance and drifted high but he said the 12be6 is on the borderline of being bad. So i will swap that out first then if i have to i will change the resistors which he's including. I'm planning on putting a 110-115 ft long wire antenna on it to maximize my reception possibilities.

tuberadiogeek

Yup, total recap. The guy even put in a re-production can electrolytic instead of individual caps underneath. I'm not too concerned about the resistors.. hopefully i can just get by with changing the tube.. plus i cant complain for 40.00 shipped, considering they average around 70.00 on ebay unrestored.. but its not going there.. its going to be a keeper.

tuberadiogeek

Got it today. Changed out 2 resistors, R5 drifted from 470 ohms to around 1.2K and R2 drifted from 47K to 54K. Just in the few hours ive had it, ive copied some religious stations around 2.8 mhz,9mhz,some hams at 9.5mhz with band spread down to 65, i imagine it was 40 meter but not certain. Also some foreign stuff around 14mhz. Not to shabby for a novice with a 110'+ antenna that is mostly 17 gauge steel electric fence wire bolted to a piece of 22-24 gauge piece of copper wire. Its separated by nuts and washers so they dont touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.