Info on Missing 796 to 806 Mhz for Pro-106

Status
Not open for further replies.

dak4482

I spoke to a GRE engineer at their booth at the Dayton hamvention this weekend and he stated that the reason the 796-806 Mhz section of frequencies were eliminated in the last update of the PRO-106 was due to an intermod problem within the radio. He also stated they had no plans at this time to restore them.

He also stated the desktop version of the PSR-800 is due out at Xmas.He would give no further details or tidbits.

Dan

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
(although this is the wrong forum to ask...<ahem>)

Yes the GRE PSR-800 does X2 TDMA best regards..Mike

morrisr3nd

Just kind of taking it all in
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if this is still an issue? If so, does it also affect the PSR-600, PRO-106, PRO-197?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you read the entire thread, you will find that yes, that freq range is blocked out on the PRO-106, and I would imagine that would apply to the 197, PSR-500 and 600 (the PRO scanners are clones of the GREs...). The very first message will tell you why. I think you can safely assume that it remains that way to this day.

Don't make the mistake of reading only the new posts - reading the old ones in a thread can be very informative. 'Nuff said.

Mike

morrisr3nd

Just kind of taking it all in
Premium Subscriber
ka3jjz,

1. I did read the "entire post"

2. I am ignorant to what an "intermod" is.

3. The orginal post is over a year old, so therefore I wasn't sure if a change had been made and nothing was said about it.

I'm new to scanning and to the site as well, but don't assume that I didn't read an entire post simply because something "might not" have been updated or because someone isn't savy with the technical language.

RANT OVER

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
ka3jjz,

1. I did read the "entire post"

2. I am ignorant to what an "intermod" is.

3. The orginal post is over a year old, so therefore I wasn't sure if a change had been made and nothing was said about it.

I'm new to scanning and to the site as well, but don't assume that I didn't read an entire post simply because something "might not" have been updated or because someone isn't savy with the technical language.

RANT OVER

"Intermod" = Intermodulation is not a good thing. It overloads your receiver causing you to hear extreme interference from strong rf sources. ;)

n9zas

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And just to add to it - I think it was mentioned somewhere that mixing products in this range would have landed right in the cellular band. There's an old law - long since out of date but still on the books -that prohibits the sale or manufacture of any device that can hear cell phones. Hence had that range not been blocked out, the scanner likely would not have received FCC certification

Mike

SquierStrat

If those sections were blocked out with the last update, wouldnt they have been active in the scanner when it did recieve its FCC certification?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
To be honest I've heard 2 stories - early versions of this radio has this range unblocked, and then after a mystery update, it was gone. The other one being that current models all have this range blocked. I'm not sure I understand what's going on here...Mike

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

GRE and PRO scanners will receive IMAGES between 796-806MHz of frequencies between 850-870-ishMHz. There are MANY threads on the board of people 'finding' trunk systems that they can not decode between 796-806MHz

SquierStrat

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

GRE and PRO scanners will receive IMAGES between 796-806MHz of frequencies between 850-870-ishMHz.

ah yes. Now that you mention that, it reminds me, i have experienced that first hand. So with that being the case, and the scanner not being able to trunk in that range, it makes sense they would just block it out.

although this scanner is capable of trunking in the 700mhz range, it is not capable of trunking images. makes perfect sense!

Last edited:

stlouisx50

Mirror images are heavy in this range, however what is the reason for the other gaps that the unit has?

GRE and Radio Shack false advertize , they say the unit has full coverage (-) minus cellular band which is just not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.