Info on the Power connector for an AR-2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lancruza

I just picked up a couple of AR-2002's from and estate sale. I used alligator clips to see if they would power up, and they do. I'm trying to find info on the connector. I have plenty of 12v supplies that I can use but I need to find a place to source the plug that plugs in to the radio. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

AOR plug.jpg

Last edited:

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Also Here ins the states, they were offered as the Regency MX-5000 and Regency MX-7000 scanners. You might look them up that way.

dkf435

Connector was used on the AOR, Regency, some early amateur radios for memory power supply, credit card machines with a different pin out, and a Radio Shack Hi Capacity NiCad charger. Back when ACE communications was sellling the cords they were $7 a piece now you cannot find them.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
@dkf435

The connector @Lancruza is looking for has the AOR code: DC2001 which I've posted a link to in my previous reply. :)
The OP just wants info on the connector plug, not an entire and ridiculously priced cord assembly.

I've also seen the same connector used on old Toshiba Satellite series laptops but never did know the name of the connector.

dkf435

The reason they are so high is it has been a VERY LONG time since they were made and no longer available, the ones left in the package on Ebay are old stock. May try getting some pin sockets and making a 3D printed body. In July found the whole power supply for $35 plus $7 shipping on Ebay and grabbed it

kruser

Premium Subscriber
The reason they are so high is it has been a VERY LONG time since they were made and no longer available,

No doubt they are old and rare.
Since this thread came about, I checked an old Kenwood TR7730 2 meter mobile I have and sure enough, it used the same connector for an external memory backup power supply so it could retain its whopping 5 memory channels!
I guess the option was for those running the mobile in a shack with AC power so they could kill their 12 VDC supplies.

Knowing Toshiba used them on laptops back in the day, one would think the plug could still be found somewhere.
Possibly surplus electronics dealers. I have such a place here in town but digging through their many bins of miscellaneous plugs and connectors could take hours. I can't say I ever saw another laptop that used the same 3 pin connector. In fact, I can't think of anything else that used them other than the few devices you mentioned earlier.

mpapuga

Premium Subscriber
I checked with David at AORUSA last month looking for the same item (part # DC3000) for my AR5000's to run from a single power supply. AOR no longer has any but did have 3 of the DC2001C car adapters available. I had to order through one of their local distributers so I contacted Universal Radio and aquired all 3 for the price of one sold on eBay. A couple years earlier the DC3000 was available from Universal, I had bought one for later use but sent it to Austrailia to a guy who couldn't get it shipped to him from Universal. Figured I'd help him out because they were readily available (and reasonably priced). I should have planned better and bought more.
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.