• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Info on this retailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mundell22

Hey all I live in OKC and they have locked me out from the okcfd and okcpd via scanner looking at getting a Jag 700p from http://www.edacsradios.com/ wanted info on you guys. Is this a trusted company and will OKC be able to lock me out if transmit is disabled. I just want to hear OKCPD and OCFD traffic and calls.

dsw760

Bought a radio from them last year and had no problems. Everything was as promised, radio with NEW battery, antenna, rapid charger plus free programming. I would buy from them again.

SCPD

QRT
Have purchased from them several times, never any problems. I would recommend them totally.

swcscott

Premium Subscriber
I highly recommend Price Radio's. I have purchased a couple radio's from them and had several other's programmed by them all as receive only. All have worked great. They are extremely helpful and and have provided excellent customer service every time I have dealt with them.

w0fg

Price Radio is great, but getting a ProVoice radio from them may or may enable you to listen to the agencies you want. At the very least, it depends to whether or not they are using encryption in addition to ProVoice. If they are, you will need to be an authorized user and get the appropriate key downloaded from the system administrator. I'm not familiar enough with ProVoice to advise whether or not a PV radio automatically transmits any signal in an attempt to affiliate with the site it is receiving. If it does, they may be able to identify and lock out the radio.

DOH6713

your waisting you time and money

Hey bud as far as Price Radios go there is no competion. They are w/o a doubt the best third party MACOM dealer. Flawless history and very respected. As far as OKCPD and FD. you can buy a jag, orion, lpe, 500m, hell even 2 jags. if you need paper wieghts. thats all there gonna be good for. i suggest you read some threads on provoice b4 u go much further. Unless the system admin of OKC gives you permision(and by the sound of it your permision has been denied) and 'activates' the radio for you, all your going to here is silence. this is why provoice is so sought after by major metro areas. as of this point it is 100% scanner and hacker proof. the provoice technology is MACOM's own and they are not releaseing any info to scanner companies now or any time soon. not only that but it is an ENFORCED and i emphisize on enforced federal crime to monitor encrypted transmissions. agencies arent screwing around with the is stuff anymroe, people are getting poped left and right for attempting to monitor provoice, apco 25 via motorolas radios, opensky, ect. the radio gets activated and deactivated remotely. it signs in every time it turns on, wether or not it is programmed to transmitt makes no diff. basicly it acts like a cell phone, if ur signed u have service, if ur not, you have a really nice clock/alarmclock/calander/phonebook. Do some research befor you start waisting your money. if u are really desperate to here provoice transmisions(and keep in mind those channels w/ esk's are impossible to monitor) there is a very inefficiant way thats involves mixers, buffers, tuners and a really big antenna. there is no portability wiht this option and very user UN friendly.

af5rn

DOH9792 said:
not only that but it is an ENFORCED and i emphisize on enforced federal crime to monitor encrypted transmissions. agencies arent screwing around with the is stuff anymroe, people are getting poped left and right for attempting to monitor provoice, apco 25 via motorolas radios, opensky, ect.
Can you give us a link to a credible government or news media site that substantiates this claim?

jfroot

I'm not exactly sure if your motive for your post was fear mongering or ignorance. Either way, it is full of mis-information. For one, if a system is using Provoice that is un-encrypted and they do not use ESK, then it is completely possible to monitor them via a Jag, LPE, etc. You can tell the radio to not affiliate with the system and for further protection turn off transmit capability entirely on all the talk groups. At that point you have a receiver that is completely undetectable by any agency and will track and let you listen to Provoice communications. Many Many people do this in Provoice cities and I have never heard of anyone getting busted for merely listening. Of course there are a few turkeys who decide to transmit and mess with the agency, and they promptly do get tracked down and nailed.

--
Jay

DOH9792 said:
Hey bud as far as Price Radios go there is no competion. They are w/o a doubt the best third party MACOM dealer. Flawless history and very respected. As far as OKCPD and FD. you can buy a jag, orion, lpe, 500m, hell even 2 jags. if you need paper wieghts. thats all there gonna be good for. i suggest you read some threads on provoice b4 u go much further. Unless the system admin of OKC gives you permision(and by the sound of it your permision has been denied) and 'activates' the radio for you, all your going to here is silence. this is why provoice is so sought after by major metro areas. as of this point it is 100% scanner and hacker proof. the provoice technology is MACOM's own and they are not releaseing any info to scanner companies now or any time soon. not only that but it is an ENFORCED and i emphisize on enforced federal crime to monitor encrypted transmissions. agencies arent screwing around with the is stuff anymroe, people are getting poped left and right for attempting to monitor provoice, apco 25 via motorolas radios, opensky, ect. the radio gets activated and deactivated remotely. it signs in every time it turns on, wether or not it is programmed to transmitt makes no diff. basicly it acts like a cell phone, if ur signed u have service, if ur not, you have a really nice clock/alarmclock/calander/phonebook. Do some research befor you start waisting your money. if u are really desperate to here provoice transmisions(and keep in mind those channels w/ esk's are impossible to monitor) there is a very inefficiant way thats involves mixers, buffers, tuners and a really big antenna. there is no portability wiht this option and very user UN friendly.

DOH6713

Easy there over analytical

the "getting popped" was directed more towards monitoring APCO 25 systems using the Motorola XTS's, and using actual radio equipment to 'sign' into the system. Besides have you even looked at OKCPD's system, obviously not. There is no reason to buy a Jag for it. about half of the system is on ESK, and the channels that aren't are simulcasted on fm freq's. Now there are a few channels that aren't but their not even worth listening to. Also according to PRO Voice threads on THIS forum, turning off all those features aren't as easy as 1,2,3. And as far as links go with stories of credible things, search ur self under Moto's forum on this site. there should be a posting about 2 months ago, referring to someone wanting to buy an XTS 5000 to program to monitor his local Apco 25 system, actually i think it turned into a discussion about his XTS and began talking about 'obtaining' a copy of motos programming software/hardware. in this long discussion there are several links to stories mostly, out of LA and i think one on the mid-west to people breaking transmission laws. It also discusses how several diffrent system admin's lock down the radios remotely and reports it to Motorola. (if ur really interested i'll explain how this works, but trying to stay on subject...) There is a story i believe it is out of NY where the FCC came in and used there own equipment to track down where these transmissions were coming from. In my home system there have been 4 people that have been caught monitoring our APCO system with radios they bought off of ebay, long story short they lost there radios and paid a nice little fine. Our local narcotics task force also made life very hard for one of our VFD guys who did the lil jag trick. Needless to say if i were him i wouldn't even be caught with a scanner. There is a reason why agencies upgrade other than just keeping up with the times. The reply was not 'ignorance' nor 'scare tactic'. Merely a bit of friendly advice. I assure that those that do the lil jag ever get caught with the radio and have the monitoring capabilities, the officers aren't just going to smile and nod and say "nice radio". Our agency has a little wall for those people, and file of F.I. cards on everyone (excluding media) that has been caught with or is known to have a scanner. Now before u get out ur tomatoes, i am in full support of scanning with the exception to grey area and illegal monitoring. In my opinion if ur that interested join the local C.O.P. program or go to the academy. If you don't qualify for either then u probably shouldn't be scanning.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
DOH9792 said:
Besides have you even looked at OKCPD's system, obviously not. There is no reason to buy a Jag for it. about half of the system is on ESK, and the channels that aren't are simulcasted on fm freq's.

Perhaps you, yourself, need to take a look at the system again. Most of the groups are ProVoice digital in the clear and are very much able to be heard using an LPE or Jaguar radio. These are about the only ways to listen to the system aside from the digital voice conversion method. Also, you need to re-read about ESK. It is either turned on for all of the system or none (it is a per-CSD function) - not for just half of a system. At any rate, Oklahoma City's system is not implementing ESK at all at this time.

Also according to PRO Voice threads on THIS forum, turning off all those features aren't as easy as 1,2,3.

Actually, it is. One check box for turning off auto login and another check box at each talk group entry to turn off transmit.

Our local narcotics task force also made life very hard for one of our VFD guys who did the lil jag trick.

If the radio had auto login disabled and transmit disabled on all talk groups, about the only thing that could be done with that situation is a civil suit from M/A-COM against the programmer of the radio for software license violations. Without the whole story, it's hard to say that this situation fits what is being spoken about here.

Our agency has a little wall for those people, and file of F.I. cards on everyone (excluding media) that has been caught with or is known to have a scanner.

And I bet that helps you out a lot with the law enforcement mission.

If you don't qualify for either then u probably shouldn't be scanning.

I can't describe how much I disagree with this, but I will leave that to be your opinion.

DOH6713

The Mission is most successfull!

As I stated before... According to the discussion forums on THIS site, NOT MACOM literature, the jag trick isn't that easy. The accuracy of this information on the forums relies, or should rely on the patrolling of RR's information accuracy police aka the "admin(s)", I'm just saying. Second, general requirements of most C.O.P(citizens on patrol) programs, no felony convictions, not currently on probation or parole, no lengthy arrest record, no MAJOR crimes on record(every ones tried it at least once), no gang association, and in my home town, no DWI CHARGES not convictions but actual arrests, in the past 2 years, and no arrests in the past 2 years. That's pretty reasonable if you ask me. Most any decent job has similar requirements. Sorry but its gonna take a pretty good argument to convenience me and I'm sure EVERY department in America that felony gang bangers are monitoring police radio transmissions for "entertainment" purposes only. But that discussion is for a different forum. THIRD, OK So maybe i shouldn't have said ESK's BUT yet again according the OKCPD page on THIS site ,states that all the "fun" channels are ENCRYPTED (please refer to my comment regarding the accuracy of this information to lines 1,2, and 3) if you enjoy listening to whether or not people are wanted or what the worst arrest is on their CCH, if they parked in the red zone, or what the neighborhood loon hit her husband over the head with this week by all means knock yourself out, but as far as stings, stakeouts, swat bust's, or special ops, SOL there. Me, i could care less who gets a ticket for running a red light, i have cable. For police pursuits, beginning of most standoffs, and "in progress" calls, the city simultaneously transmitts on fm freqs. My only motive on my reply was to help save the guy 800 bucks. But hey I like Mark and if you've got $800 to blow, please throw it in his direction, all his products and services are industry leading. If they had a frequent shopper card, it would be on my key chain. Fourth, as for this MACOM civil suit, sure maybe... to the POSTER whom started the discussion, bottom line cops don't like scanners, for what ever reason justified or not, they don't. Sure u cant go to jail for having one, but they REALLY don't like it when ur riding around with one of their radios, regardless of it being capable to TRX or not. They see it as unnecessary and I'm sure most people can agree, The durability and receptive power difference btwn a scanner and actual radio argument doesn't hold enough water. Regardless of violation of rights can or cant do it, wrong or right they usually give those with similar equipment to theirs the owners a hard time when ever they can. They will harass you about the radio if ever caught with it, which can open up doors that aren't fun, sure maybe nothing will come of it but unless your a negative experience seeker it's not worth it. Plus the programming option that's available to people with radios should be viewed and treated as a privilege. The last thing our buddy needs is a mad department harassing him about programming radios to their freq's. This scanning community needs to watch out for one another to prevent turkeys from ruining things for us. Any officer that is associated with RR will agree with what Ive said, i know this because I'm merely repeated what I've read from an officers posting on wreck less scanning. One last thing, YES those FI's and our wall does help, it's a funny thing how much more successful narcotics bust are when, well, the dealer isn't expecting us, and now when our party patrol hits a house full of UN suspecting minors because the residence has a warning that notifies our dispatch to contact responding officers by phone and not giving out the address over the air, which in turn prevents them from driving or making more wrong decisions, the kids parents are usually grateful. Funny how that woks... Police actually working for the public's safety.

Last edited:

af5rn

DOH9792 said:
Sure u cant go to jail for having one...
But you decided to say it anyways. If that wasn't an intentional, albeit lame attempt at fear-mongering, then exactly what was it? Just a lie?

...but they REALLY don't like it when ur riding around with one of their radios, regardless of it being capable to TRX or not.
I don't give any more of an F what the cops "like" than they care about what I like. If they have nothing better to worry about then how many hobbyists are listening to them making traffic stops and barking dog calls, then obviously our crime problem is solved in this country, and we can start laying some of those useless losers off.

Regardless of violation of rights can or cant do it, wrong or right they usually give those with similar equipment to theirs the owners a hard time when ever they can. They will harass you about the radio if ever caught with it, which can open up doors that aren't fun, sure maybe nothing will come of it but unless your a negative experience seeker it's not worth it.
So cops are arseholes. Tell us something we didn't already know.

One last thing, YES those FI's and our wall does help, it's a funny thing how much more successful narcotics bust are when, well, the dealer isn't expecting us, and now when our party patrol hits a house full of UN suspecting minors because the residence has a warning that notifies our dispatch to contact responding officers by phone and not giving out the address over the air, which in turn prevents them from driving or making more wrong decisions, the kids parents are usually grateful.
Oh puhleeze, dude. You're going to tell me that your jurisdiction has hundreds of drug dealers on the streets with Jaguars? How many of those busts have you personally made? Or is that the "people getting poped left and right" you were making up earlier?

Funny how that woks... Police actually working for the public's safety.
Whatever. I know many, many cops, including my best friends. I was one for over a decade. Most of them -- just like firemen and EMTs -- are working only for their own personal fun, not public safety. They were bullies in high school, and couldn't wait to go get a gun and badge to get paid to be a bully. You aren't fooling anybody with that nonsense.

GILMOORE

af5rn said:
But you decided to say it anyways. If that wasn't an intentional, albeit lame attempt at fear-mongering, then exactly what was it? Just a lie?

I don't give any more of an F what the cops "like" than they care about what I like. If they have nothing better to worry about then how many hobbyists are listening to them making traffic stops and barking dog calls, then obviously our crime problem is solved in this country, and we can start laying some of those useless losers off.

Oh puhleeze, dude. You're going to tell me that your jurisdiction has hundreds of drug dealers on the streets with Jaguars? How many of those busts have you personally made? Or is that the "people getting poped left and right" you were making up earlier?

Whatever. I know many, many cops, including my best friends. I was one for over a decade. Most of them -- just like firemen and EMTs -- are working only for their own personal fun, not public safety. They were bullies in high school, and couldn't wait to go get a gun and badge to get paid to be a bully. You aren't fooling anybody with that nonsense.

Nicely said. Couldn't have said it any better. I would ask you to sit down and have a drink with me but I don't drink. How about a cigar?

DOH6713

af5rn said:

Well, as previously stated by green thumb "I can't describe how much I disagree with this, but I will leave that to be your opinion." Yeah cops, firemen, emt's are such bad people. Yet you still sit and listen with ur little scanners or excuse me "hobby" and are still so interested as to what they are doing at work. Wow I dont think Hillary has contradicted herself more. Also i never said anything about "Hundreds of drug dealers having jags." But there are some that have scanners. So it helps knowing which ones are known to have them. Either way the ignorance in this discussion has gotten rediculous. My only reason for stating what i did was to help a guy out, but like I said befor, if your into bad experience's than please program as many radios as you want and wear them on ur hip. Hell go sit outside the PD and rally untill they crack and start offering to program the radios for u. I'm done with this discussion, and i think i'll have a drink, at least i can say no after the first one...

af5rn

DOH9792 said:
Yeah cops, firemen, emt's are such bad people. Yet you still sit and listen with ur little scanners or excuse me "hobby" and are still so interested as to what they are doing at work.
You don't read too well, do you? I know exactly what they do at work. I was a cop, fireman, and medic probably before you stopped crapping nappies. I didn't say they were bad people. I said that the whole "I do it because I want to help people" is bull$h!+. Nine out of ten do it simply because it's a thrill, a steady job, and requires little or no education. And just like ninety-five percent of everybody else on this forum, I listen to them for the very same reason: because it's a thrill. The other five percent do it for a living. If you have something against this "hobby" then wtf are you doing here, other than trying to assert your macho-cop, "I'm better than you because I am issued a walkie talkie" superiority over us lowly scanners? What you are doing is simply proving that those who say cops are jerks are right.

Wow I dont think Hillary has contradicted herself more.
And please point out for me any contradictions I have made here. Oh, that's right... you're done with this conversation. In other words, you lose.

fireant

Mundell has already asked this over in the Oklahoma forum and still say good luck getting someone to program this for you. The only way you may get this done is if you know someone who has the software to do it and good luck with that.

Not to bash OCPD or OKC Fire but you are not missing much not listening plus why spend all that money for a Provoice radio when there are still plans to hard patch the PD Channels on the state system. You can still hear OCPD on their VHF frequencies for now anyway.

Some people just don't give up!!!

fireant

af5rn

fireant said:
Mundell has already asked this over in the Oklahoma forum and still say good luck getting someone to program this for you. The only way you may get this done is if you know someone who has the software to do it and good luck with that.
This thread is not about OKC and OCPD. It is about a very specific vendor of pre-programmed radios. Are you saying that you know for a fact that this vendor will not program their products for those two systems?

fireant

The only reason he is wanting the radio is to listen to OCPD and OKC Fire. I don't know if the vendor will program its but very doubtful that they will. Plus he is joe citizen so less chances that will not saying they won't but would be really shocked if they did it for him.

fireant

Status
Not open for further replies.