Info wanted on AOR 3000-Not "A" version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fast1eddie

Hello,

I will be purchasing a used 3000, not the A model. Understand these two radios are similar with the A having a freewheeling tuning dial and some fixes regarding v/uhf selectivity and such. Because these are older radios, many of the links are dead. I would be appreciative of any info someone may have on it, specifically I would like to know more of the computer interface and what software I need to run it. Any fixes and upgrade mods are good to have too.

Thank you very much and good signals!

Turbo68

Hi Edward use to have the Aor-3000 & 3000A for computer interface i used Scancat Gold receivers performance was excellent on hf/vhf aircraft which is my main intrest and do regret selling them..

Regards Lino..

questnz

Edward, I use to have 3000A, there is not much different between two models. Radio have 400 memories in 4 banks, it is easy to program and operate. Reception is great with right antenna, i used Diamond Di-scone D130. It have Serial 25 pin interface. If I remember correctly there is a switch behind front panel to switch from 2800 Baud to 9600 Baud for programing and/or monitoring or maybe 9600 to 14400 not sure now? Like Lino I used Scancat Lite than Scancat Gold but this is old stuff now and not sure will run under Windows 7 or 8. Actually I may still have a original Manual for 3000A if you interested I can email to you in PDF. AOR UK used to have links to other free software. Google maybe your friend here. If radio is in working order GET IT.
Regards Chris

Fast1eddie

AOR 3000

Thank you all very much! I have had many AOR products over the years, started with the 2001 which I bought second hand while stationed in Italy. After returning stateside and now a civilian, I sent it to AOR Japan for service, man they really squared that radio away!! Been with AOR ever since, now have a 8200 which continues to impress me. Using it now on Diamond D130 Discone, and enjoy surprisingly good HF reception.

I am divorced now and told myself no more radios....But when I came across it on Universal's site, I decided to get it. Yup, I will be the homeless guy living in a Sears Washer/Dryer box with all the antennas protruding from it....No worries from the restricted covenant housing communities.....

Universal advises it was gone over and works well, so no worries. I was able to download a manual in PDF format so it's just a matter of printing and having FedEx Office bind it for me.....With Signal Orange (this page left intentionally blank) cover sheets. Like the RS 232 protocol too, relatively easy to setup and troubleshoot if need be.

Think AOR offered free pc control software (Green Light??) for it years back, did not see it on the site. Been meaning to compose e-mail to Taka, he's really been a big help and is a excellent engineer. Wish I had that man's brains and skill set....

Anyway, thank you all again and looking forward to many years of use from it, that is until I can afford to buy a used Icom R9000.....My dream rig.

Good Signals!

dkf435

Software was Search Light, had the old Gesmundo software for DOS for the AR3000/A and loved it.

There also used to be instructions for putting the AR3000A front panel on the AR3000 radio, but I like the clicking encoder for mobile use.

Currently have an AR3000 with SDU5000, AR3000A, AR5000 with SDU5500 and ARD25, AR8000, AR8200, AR8200MKII and AR8600MKII with P25.

While not having a Icom R9000, for the money get a R8500 or a R/PCR 2500 and add the AOR ARD digital decoder,.or the P25 board, much more useful

David Kb7uns

Fast1eddie

Dave, very nice rigs you have and would love to have the SDU 5K one day.....Although I would prefer the freewheeling tuning knob, the detents make very good sense for mobile use I had not fully considered. Have a 2011 Escape with little, if any mounting space. I did drill a hole in the roof for my Austin Spectra and occasionally take my 82K mobile....Just not too safe to operate while driving. While not AOR products, I also use a Icom 7100 and a R71A...had the 71A gone over maybe two years ago, can hear a ant cut the cheese. My poor mans version of the 8500!!!

Thanks for the tip and good signals.

dkf435

Look for a SDU5500 less problems better design, I will be trying a RFSpace SDR-IQ when I get time to make up the cables for spectrum display. Have just changed things and put the R7100 in the stack with the R8500 and still love the easy use of the R7100 but prefer the R71 over the R72. I think the
R8500 sometimes is not as good as separate HF and VHF/UHF

Have a Jeep Commander with IC2820, D710, FTM350R and IC7000 for ham with Home Patrol Extreme and Icom R2500 plus handheld of choice PSR800 BCD396 or Pro106 for mobile

David Kb7uns

dwhitneysr

Did anyone ever find a source for control software for the AR3000, used to have it but disk now missing so have the radio, manuals but no more control software.

Dave

dkf435

Scancat Gold or Scanstar have versions that work with the AR3000 most software for these radios is for Windows XP or earlier.

David Kb7uns

Status
Not open for further replies.