Information Gathering: Uniden SDS-200 vs. Whistler TRX-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riddick51PB

In short, I'm not familiar with scanners. My assignment is to help a person choose between Whistler TRX-2 and Uniden SDS200. I will point my friend to this thread so that she can read the material for herself.

Budget: $750 + tax + ship
Lincoln, Nebraska, County=Lancaster, Zip=68509
-Police, Sheriff, Fire, EMS
-Simulcast: what is it, and is it relevant to my application? I tried looking this up in the database area but I don't know what I'm looking for.

Are there advantages to the SDS-200 vs. the TRX-2 ? Please comment on a few of those advantages, if you would, so I can relay it to the 3rd party. If you feel the TRX-2 is a better solution for my locale, feel free to offer a few comments on why that is.

I am somewhat adept at using Windows PC's. I do not know if a PC is used to program the SDS200 or TRX-2.

Question(s):
SDS200: Do I need DMR Digital Upgrade?
SDS200: Do I need NXDN Digital Upgrade? Can this be added at a later date?
SDS200: Do I need ProVoice Digital Upgrade? Can this be added at a later date?

If you need more information, I'll do my best to provide that info. Thank you for your time.

JimD56

KO9JAD/Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Feed Provider
Ok, here we go...
1) Research locally first if there are going to be any radio system upgrades. Specifically moving from EDACS to P25 Phase II (Simulcast or not) EDACS is being phased out pretty much everywhere. Your local stuff is EDACS Analog but your State stuff is P25 Phase I Digital. Look in the Nebraska Forum next, they will be more help there with location specifics.

2) As of now, you do NOT need an SDS200. However, seeing your budget. BUY IT. You will not regret it. The user interface through the Sentinel program, screen customization, and future expansion (Maybe a Simulcast System) beats out the TRX-2.

3) Reference listening, you are fine at your zip code to hear Fire-EMS WITHOUT any upgrades. However, Lincoln Police is ALL "E" and State Police is "E" encrypted on half of their talk groups. NO SCANNER receives "E". Look in the Nebraska Forum next, they will be more help there with location specifics.

sfb88

While the mods do not want cross posting, I invite their comment on this, I think that to get a complete perspective posting this question in the Whistler forum also would be reasonable.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Hi there & welcome! I'd suggest watching this Youtube video which compares a few features & aspects of the two scanners

SDS200: Do I need DMR Digital Upgrade?
SDS200: Do I need NXDN Digital Upgrade? Can this be added at a later date?
Only you or your friend can answer that, yes they can be added at a later date. Take a look at your (or your friend's) county Radioference page to see what DMR & NXDN systems or conventional frequencies have been identified. If these interest your friend, then go for the upgrades.

SDS200: Do I need ProVoice Digital Upgrade? Can this be added at a later date?
I'm seeing two identified Provoice systems in Nebraska, one of them in your county? If the DB is accurate, looks like the Provoice protocol itself is only utilized on 4 talkgroups on the Lincoln-Lancaster system, those talkgroups identified as Mode "D". The rest are Mode "A" being analog and should be able to be tracked without the upgrade. The Whistler TRX-2 WILL NOT TRACK PROVOICE
RACOM NetworkEDACSVariousMulti County [136]12-19-2020
Lincoln-Lancaster CountyEDACSLincolnMulti County [2]03-08-2020

-Simulcast: what is it, and is it relevant to my application? I tried looking this up in the database area but I don't know what I'm looking for
Have a read at what simulcast distortion is here. it has been known to plague any non-SDS scanner, particularly the Whistlers. There's loads of discussion about simulcast distortion on these forums so I'm not going to get into great depth about it here. Search and you'll find it, it's discussed here daily.

Bottom line, I'd strongly recommend the SDS200 over the TRX-2. It's the best base scanner for the digital modes money can buy!

Riddick51PB

I want to thank you all for the comments. Looks like I have some reading and watching YouTube videos to do. My friend has decided she will get the Uniden SDS200.

@sfb88 Yes, I understand your thoughts on this as my bias for the SDS200 was obvious. A precarious bias, as I did not know the merits of the TRX-2 vs. SDS200.

Status
Not open for further replies.