infraction at The RadioReference.com Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

lugoffman

Can someone tell me what this new points system we got here is all about , and when did it come about ???? I got one of these today for reporting a post that was at first in another thread but must of got put in the propper place before I realised it was and I reported it and now I got grounded for doing so. so does anyone know what this is about ? do we really got a point system here that will kick us off the sight for making a simple mistake I mean come on get real !!! for those who don't know what the point system here is what one looks like Dear lugoffman,

You have received an infraction at The RadioReference.com Forums.

Reason: Improper Reporting
-------
You reported a post in the classified For Sale section stating that it should be moved to the For Sale section. You reported this today; there was a lot of moderator action in this thread yesterday.

Your report is dated today at 4:34 PM CDT, the last post in that thread is today at 4:24 PM CDT; it is obvious that you paid no attention to where this thread was located when you reported it. Perhaps the 2 points might help you to consider that false reporting will not be tolerated in the future.

Well loumaag I didn't see that the mods. did anything or had any moderator action so for that I am once again a Man and will say this I am sorry but would love to know when the new point system came about ?????

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
The vBulletin message board software/script (and mostly any forum software) has always had a point infraction system that moderators and admins can use against members not following the rules for forum management of its members, if theres a sticky telling you the rules, then you better bet that there will be consequences if you dont follow them and stem is the point infraction system is what there is. by the amounts of infractions you get, you can be temporarily banned or permenantly banned by IP. its up to the admins discretion how that system is setup and what the punishment is
thats just unfortunate that you got caught up in it, just wasnt you day, or you just got an infraction by a moderator who wasnt having a good day

Last edited:

lugoffman

The vBulletin message board software/script (and mostly any forum software) has always had a point infraction system that moderators and admins can use against members not following the rules for forum management of its members, if theres a sticky telling you the rules, then you better bet that there will be consequences if you dont follow them and stem is the point infraction system is what there is. by the amounts of infractions you get, you can be temporarily banned or permenantly banned by IP. its up to the admins discretion how that system is setup and what the punishment is
thats just unfortunate that you got caught up in it, just wasnt you day, or you just got an infraction by a moderator who wasnt having a good day

Yea loumaag told me about it but just thought it was stiff at first but I guess for now on I really don't care what people put in threads anymore let someone else deal with it . and really I was just tring to look out for the guy who posted it though maybe he was new but thats what you get for tring to be of some help Anyways I have been on a lot of vbulletin forums ,track forums , police forums ,and never seen it so strick as this one is but. I really love the forum get good info but at times I think is this really how Ham operators act ?? and most are Hams on here and makes me really think about becoming a ham cause I can get this treatment from a CB

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I really love the forum get good info but at times I think is this really how Ham operators act ??

No, there would be more discussions of health issues :lol:

most are Hams on here and makes me really think about becoming a ham

No, I can assure you that most of the members on here are not amateur radio operators.

Highpockets

What started off as a question about points, now turned into a thread putting down Hams and cb'ers. Myself, I think it would be a good idea to end it. Why stir the pot.

Highpockets

Ok back to the point system SORRY

I have read allot of your posts, and you have made good points in the past. Why let a few points effect you, let it go, continue being an asset here, I'm sure if points are given out, I'll get my share, I report spam posts, and I'm sure I'll make a mistake and get a few, life goes on, enjoy RR and have fun. Oh well, just my thoughts! :)

lugoffman

I have read allot of your posts, and you have made good points in the past. Why let a few points effect you, let it go, continue being an asset here, I'm sure if points are given out, I'll get my share, I report spam posts, and I'm sure I'll make a mistake and get a few, life goes on, enjoy RR and have fun. Oh well, just my thoughts! :)

Well I am not going to loose any sleep over it. But I was just wondering why is it that this fourm is so stricked on simplefied things such as this one. Or for that matter most of the things that happen here.
I mean heck I go on the police forum alot and get respected , I come here and somtimes get disrespected. and it's not only me who got disrespected.
I got a real good friend that comes on this forum and his user name is windchaser he had several strokes and is still tring to learn to read and write propper and he comes on here and writes somthing asking a question and gets disrespected by somone telling him why don't you learn to read or write.
How rude and Disrespectfull can you get and then give him two points for doing it.
Now Yes I believe there should be a point system if someone is starting a fight or arguement or there thread is in the wrong place after being told several times to stop posting the same stuff in different threads but for simple stuff I think they need to lighten up and little some people are Disabled on here and retired Vets. but enough said for now let someone else get in on the thread

DRabbit

I probably shouldn't reply since I'm new here... LOL... but I've worked both professionally and as a volunteer as a forum moderator/admin. My opinion on it is this:

I do not find it at all valuable to penalize those who take the time to report a post. I remember the days when there was no such thing, and as hard as it is to believe I had scripted an old version of UBB (old BB software) to include a reporting system like is standard now. I (along with others) actually encouraged some of the better programming pioneers to implore such a system as an "out of the box" feature. It makes the moderators jobs a LOT easier when your members are helping to keep an eye on the community, keep the posts productive and on-topic and back-up the rules. Penalizing those very same member is a bad idea in my book.

I know that vBulletin may offer this point system feature but I also know that most of those types of features can be turned on and off and customized. While a small handful of members may find it amusing to report posts unneccessarily, or may just be a bit over zealous in their "snitching" it's a bad idea to discourage all the good members from clicking on that little exclamation point.

Just my opinion though... I can only speak from my own experience and not the specific experience of the moderators in this forum.
I know being an admin/mod is an often under appreciated job that takes more time than most think. Members and mods together help make a community what it is, so the best system that works for a particular environment is ultimately the decision of the admins who run it.

Last edited:

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Post reported :roll:

I probably shouldn't reply since I'm new here... LOL... but I've worked both professionally and as a volunteer as a forum moderator/admin. My opinion on it is this:.

J/K :D

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Don't be so sure of that. Theres a mod or two here that hasn't a sense of humor.

I would think that would be a requirement. I suspect the sense of humor is more refined than they choose to let on here. I know... I've BEEN a moderator on a board with 15,000 members. There's plenty to laugh at.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
If you follow the rules, points won't be an issue :wink: To the O/P, if you have a question about a particular infraction, please send a PM to the issuing moderator.

Status
Not open for further replies.