• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Infuriating Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4BLG

Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

I've been having an issue that is about to send me over the deep end.

I am having light interference on the VHF high band. I have noticed it at certain parts of the 2m ham band and the local fire frequencies (150ish range). It is a dead carrier too strong to squelch out, and weak enough that moving misc objects around makes it go away (for a while).

I have tracked it back to my wireless router. I have tried half a dozen router models, brands, and power supplies, but it doesn't help. It is certainly the router though, because when I unplug the router, it goes away completely.

Of course, the best solution here is to just move the scanner and router away from each other, but due to living in a very small place, that just isn't feasible.

Any ideas?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Hi all,

I am having light interference on the VHF high band. I have noticed it at certain parts of the 2m ham band and the local fire frequencies (150ish range). It is a dead carrier too strong to squelch out, and weak enough that moving misc objects around makes it go away (for a while).

I have tracked it back to my wireless router. I have tried half a dozen router models, brands, and power supplies, but it doesn't help. It is certainly the router though, because when I unplug the router, it goes away completely.

Of course, the best solution here is to just move the scanner and router away from each other, but due to living in a very small place, that just isn't feasible.

Any ideas?

Cable TV modem, DSL or something else? There are some carriers on cable TV systems that can fall in those ranges. My VHF mobile will break squelch at my inlaws house due to some bad connections on one of the neighbors cable TV drops.

Groeteschele

Hi all,

Any ideas?

Hello. Another thread address problem like this. All my radios are in my flat, all aerials outside of flat on roof and outside of windows using high quality double shielded and grounded coaxial cables. All ancillary computer equipment, power supplies and such are in closet. All SDR sticks are incapsulated at base of some aerials outside windows. and usb cables run to computers and laptops. Very little ambient noise from sources outside flat. I hope this helped.

a417

U+0000
<snip>

Any ideas?

Is it a router that has removable antenna? If it is, put the router inside a makeshift faraday shielded box and just route some extension wires out of the shielded box for the antenna. The only signals that should come out then would be the purposeful ones from the antenna.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
It is certainly the router though, because when I unplug the router, it goes away completely.
It might not actually be the router itself. Remember that when you remove power from the router, it also removes the ethernet signals from all devices downstream of the router. If you have any such devices (switch, hub, printer, external drive, PC, etc.), check them for noise sources as well.

KM4BLG

Premium Subscriber
Thanks all. It does have removable antennas. Might try that. Running on Fixed Wireless here, so standard ethernet jack on the WAN side. Runs to a Ubiquiti radio outside. Unfortunately can't go totally wired. Too many phones and tablets.

Status
Not open for further replies.