inherited

Status
Not open for further replies.

edpdx

inherited a RS Pro-2066. I have a Midland 18259W "receives all NOAA weather channels" Can this be used or is this all apples and oranges. I am new but I'd like to set the scanner up in my truck t5he right way the first time. It's some kind of trunking scanner and I just want to listen to whatever I can hear.

If anyone can point me to a better all-around match to this scanner, I'd appreciate it.

Note: My Blazer has a fiberglass top fwiw

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Without knowing where you are located we can't give you advise if the scanner and/or antenna will work in your area.

Mike

edpdx

Wow, I didn't know that would figure in...

I live in the belt between the suburbs and the rural transition near Portland, OR.

ridgescan

That weather bands antenna is only tuned for vhf hi so I would invest in a proper scanner antenna. the pro2066 is a very good radio. I have one in my truck too. Here is the instruction manual
RadioShack PRO-2066 150-Channel Mobile Trunking Scanner (200-0195)

I run mine on a glassmounted Larsen Tribander scanner antenna. I have it mounted on the left side window of my Snugtop shell. Allbeit somewhat directional due to antenna placement on the truck, I get a few miles out on vhf lo, about 20 miles out on vhf hi, 20-35 miles out on uhf, and up to 15 miles out on 800mHz. Not too bad for mobile and glassmount and I am content with that. I actually took the Larsen antenna element and fabbed it to a glassmount cellphone antenna setup-I suggest you buy a Larsen Tribander and hardmount it to the truck body-reliably grounded and all so your results will be even better than mine. Enjoy your 2066-it will not let you down!

ridgescan

this one
Larsen NMO150/450/800 [NMO150/450/800] - $29.95 : The Antenna Farm :: , Your Two Way Radio Source!

but you don't have to get just a Larsen, you can try one of these
https://www.scannermaster.com/Mobile_Wide_Band_s/536.htm

or go to Radio Shack's website and see what they have for mobile. Anything "wideband" in a mobile scanner antenna will be better than that Midland. I personally have only used the Larsen and have found it to be effective even after bastardizing it into a glassmount setup. And as you can see it's cheap too.

Status
Not open for further replies.