• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Inhibit on carrier and single “beep” on PTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

middleofAKTB

On a project that I’m working on to help clean up the stepping on radio traffic And the constant open mic, I found that if you enable inhibit on carrier (with quick key override) will help to prevent the user on stepping on each other. Are there any cons to this?

also to help with users not knowing they key up the radio I know you can enable ADP encryption on hardware to get that single “beep” when you press the PTT. I understand that the radio is telling you that you’re not on an encrypted channel. We simply want it to let the user know they pressed the PTT. Are there any cons to this feature?

Mr_Boh

Have seen a couple people looking at doing the same. The downsides to the enable inhibit on carrier we found are, if you frequently have interference it can falsely inhibit (really rare and you can override) and kind of related to the former, there is training required. You need to make sure users know how they can use quick key override appropriately, which can be easy to forget it's there, or abused unnecessarily. Realistically, users will rarely if ever get into the situation where they would need to use the override.

Con to your second solution is just it's not really a supported use of the feature, so a "use at your own risk" kind of thing. Never really seen it used for "mission critical" functions. I guess the argument could be made that you are training users to know what unencrypted traffic is with a plan to go encrypted later. What I see more of instead is using something like MDC pre-id (if you are conventional) to give a real need for the pre-tone.

middleofAKTB

Have seen a couple people looking at doing the same. The downsides to the enable inhibit on carrier we found are, if you frequently have interference it can falsely inhibit (really rare and you can override) and kind of related to the former, there is training required. You need to make sure users know how they can use quick key override appropriately, which can be easy to forget it's there, or abused unnecessarily. Realistically, users will rarely if ever get into the situation where they would need to use the override.

Con to your second solution is just it's not really a supported use of the feature, so a "use at your own risk" kind of thing. Never really seen it used for "mission critical" functions. I guess the argument could be made that you are training users to know what unencrypted traffic is with a plan to go encrypted later. What I see more of instead is using something like MDC pre-id (if you are conventional) to give a real need for the pre-tone.
Yes I agree theres training required. We have slowly put them on some radios as a test trial and have had allot of success with it.

We tried to enable MDC and had it on for a very short time but the powers to be were not fans of the signal squelch that was put over the and we were also told by a couple powers to be that the repeaters couldn’t handle the MDC signal (Not sure if thats a legitimate thing) and which is why we have tested the single beep and more often than not personnel like the “beep” because it acknowledges them that they have the air. We have no plans for encryption, just seeing if by having it enabled does it gum up airtime or the signals/frequencies?

KB8QDM

Premium Subscriber
I have all of my conventional radios-XTS 2500/3000/5000 and an EFJ 5300-programmed with the "In the clear" beep for one simple reason. For 15 years I've been using different trunked systems at work, LTR, Mototrbo and now ATT Firstnet, that my mind is conditioned to wait for the TPT tones before saying anything. So, on my conventional radios, I was prone to keying up and waiting, and waiting, and waiting....

middleofAKTB

I have all of my conventional radios-XTS 2500/3000/5000 and an EFJ 5300-programmed with the "In the clear" beep for one simple reason. For 15 years I've been using different trunked systems at work, LTR, Mototrbo and now ATT Firstnet, that my mind is conditioned to wait for the TPT tones before saying anything. So, on my conventional radios, I was prone to keying up and waiting, and waiting, and waiting....
Which that’s the same thought I have, “wait for the beep then transmit”.

Status
Not open for further replies.