Insight on Buying a Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Springbuck

Hi,

I am new to radioreference and the world of scanning! I have been going online and learning as much as I can in regards to scanning, and I would like to purchase a scanner for myself! My only question is that I live in British Columbia and am curious whether I need to purchase a trunking and digital scanner or whether I can still get away with regular analog scanners? I would like to use the scanner to monitor Law Enforcement, and Emergency services but I am just unsure whether I need the digital and trunking systems! I would like to save some money if I can, and so if a digital and trunking system is not needed then that would be great!

Your comments are appreciated!

Springbuck

Thanks for the welcome!

I am located in the Fraser Valley and do most of my travels in this region, however I frequently do commute through the Thompson-Nicola, Okanagan- Similkameen, and Central Okanagan counties. And on some occasions I travel into the Greater Vancouver region. It would be nice to get into something that can cover all of these areas if I am moving through one or the other.

My primary concerns would be the Fraser Valley, Thompson-Nicola, Okanagan-Similkameen, and the Central Okanagan counties.

Thanks for your time!

BC_Scan

Well for the time being in the FV you could get away with Analog, but the alarming trend by the RC's is to go p25 ENCRYPT, so that is the irreconcilable future, possibly as well for the rest of the Province, I am suprised Abby PD has gone digital yet seeing as they have many reason's to. but for the other area's you mentioned analog -non trunked is good,
personally I would go with a P25 capable handheld or mobile, the two top choices seem to be GRE or Uniden both available online from reputable online dealers, Rad shack in the states only , but no warranty, at least if you get the other two you can send to Canada for servicing , no dealers in (really) BC carry scanners for a decent price, E-bay also lot's of guys getting rid of older models that still would be good
and don't limit yourself to Emerg stuff only , the alarming wide industry trend is to go with digital non P25, see ICOM & Kenwood & Moto all pushing their non listenable version of secure comm's for anybody, anywhere, look at small Cranbrook fire dept , they have gone digital ,
also if you get a handheld , ditch the stock antenna , they suck, you would need some kind of external one, otherwise the next posting you make will be "OK I got the new thing , but can't hear anything " !!
Good luck

Springbuck

Thanks for the insight, it is really appreciated! I am looking into getting myself something Uniden!

Status
Not open for further replies.