• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Install Help

Codfather

Have the Uniden PRO510XL installed on my Polaris Pro XP. Antenna is mounted to the roll bar whip mount on the back of my machine and is properly grounded through the roll bar which I confirmed with a multimeter. Antenna is properly isolated with the mount. I'm having horrible range when talking with my buddy who has the exact same equipment and setup. Have also confirmed his ground and install. I will list the equipment we have and was wondering can anyone think why we have horrible range, range is only 200ft or so

- Uniden PRO510XL

- RoadPro RP-302 3/8 Chrome Stud for CB - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001JT7AJA...UACC4VZ8&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

- Tram 3-B-HC Fiberglass CB Antenna (Black, 3ft) - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004PGMFIK...JUACC4VZ8&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

- Wilson 305311SS Stainless Steel Heavy Duty CB Antenna Spring - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00GOZB17G...UACC4VZ8&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

- RoadPro RP-9CC 9-Feet RG58AU Cable - https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001JT14SI...UACC4VZ8&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 29

WSAC829

200 feet? That's pretty bad. Should get at least 1 mile minimum. I'm guessing you don't own an SWR meter to tune the antennas. I'd recommend picking one up. You can find them cheap ($30) on ebay. A high SWR will wreck havoc on transmitting distance, and also the radios. The only other thing i can think of would be double check the studs. Make sure the plastic sleeve isn't crushed. The center pole is the 'hot' feed point. If it touches the ground/metal/roll bar it'll short and hamper transmit and receive and could also harm the radios. You may also have defective coax (yes, it happens, even when brand new). You can test it with a multimeter. Here is a link to do that. Testing CB Antenna Coax

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Have the Uniden PRO510XL installed on my Polaris Pro XP. Antenna is mounted to the roll bar whip mount on the back of my machine and is properly grounded through the roll bar which I confirmed with a multimeter. Antenna is properly isolated with the mount. I'm having horrible range when talking with my buddy who has the exact same equipment and setup. Have also confirmed his ground and install.

DC ground is different than an RF ground. Those antennas are looking for a nice good ground plane under them. Mounting it on the back corner like that is making what little ground plane you have lopsided. Mounting it in the middle of the roll cage/roof may help.

I will list the equipment we have and was wondering can anyone think why we have horrible range, range is only 200ft or so

These things can have noisy ignition, which can cause some issues. Even on VHF, I've had issues with some interference, which can wipe out reception.

If CB is what you've chosen as your communications tool, here's what I'd suggest:

Power the radio POSITIVE lead directly off the battery. Do -NOT- tap into any existing wiring.
The negative power lead for the battery should be as short as possible and connected directly to the chassis of the vehicle. Do -not- run it all the way back to the battery.

Mount the antenna near the center of the roll cage, not offset like that.

Get a longer antenna. Stubby antennas like 3' are not going to be good performers, even in a perfect installation.

As mentioned above, get an SWR meter and check it.

Based on my own experience with UTV's/ATV's, I'd carefully look at interference from the ignition system and improve your antenna set up.

Either that, or get your GMRS license and get some of the Midland GMRS mobiles. They are much more forgiving when it comes to antennas and noise.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Welcome

It’s easy to be “off” on assembly order:
IMG_3963.jpeg
Yes, an SWR meter is needed. (ASTATIC PD-1 a generic choice. $30).

“Part” of the problem will be that an HF antenna needs a fairly large radiating surface to which it’s bonded. The roof of a minivan, for instance. But even atop an old steel garden tractor hood will get out 4-5/miles.

Last edited:

WSAC829

Stubby antennas like 3' are not going to be good performers, even in a perfect installation.
While i agree they aren't perfect, they still work well enough. More than 200 feet. I run a 3' Diesel fiberglass whip on a fender/hood mount on my F150. Not ideal, but i needed it to fit in the garage without slapping the door and being bent in half. I still get a couple miles range which is all i need for it's limited use. As i stated above, even on a UTV, they should easily get at least 1 mile.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
While i agree they aren't perfect, they still work well enough. More than 200 feet. I run a 3' Diesel fiberglass whip on a fender/hood mount on my F150. Not ideal, but i needed it to fit in the garage without slapping the door and being bent in half. I still get a couple miles range which is all i need for it's limited use. As i stated above, even on a UTV, they should easily get at least 1 mile.

5’ is an acceptable minimum given that a quarter wave whip is 9’.

Less than 5’ is better avoided.

A 6’ Skipshooter (model & brand) isn’t expensive and is an excellent performer.

He needs to solve mount problem first.

As to your F150, got a foot of clearance into garage = try an NMO w/spring. @mmckenna can advise.

Hearing may seem okay with that set-up, but I’ve regularly lost others on highway with same almost immediately when things get hot.

Last edited:

WSAC829

Less than 5’ is better avoided.
If i wanted to park outside, sure, but i'm not wasting my 2100 square foot garage and leaving my truck outside in the Wisconsin elements all year just for a "proper" CB antenna. ;)

The shorter ones are fine for basic use. We use to run rubber ducks 30 years ago and could easily talk from one side of the city to the other. In the OP's use case, on the trails, close distance to each other, a short antenna will work just fine.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
There’s these new things called:

Fold-Over

Quick-Disconnect

past whether NMO on roof center would clear.

Codfather

200 feet? That's pretty bad. Should get at least 1 mile minimum. I'm guessing you don't own an SWR meter to tune the antennas. I'd recommend picking one up. You can find them cheap ($30) on ebay. A high SWR will wreck havoc on transmitting distance, and also the radios. The only other thing i can think of would be double check the studs. Make sure the plastic sleeve isn't crushed. The center pole is the 'hot' feed point. If it touches the ground/metal/roll bar it'll short and hamper transmit and receive and could also harm the radios. You may also have defective coax (yes, it happens, even when brand new). You can test it with a multimeter. Here is a link to do that. Testing CB Antenna Coax
I have a SWR meter but the Tram 3-B-HC Fiberglass CB Antenna (Black, 3ft) that I bought is not tunable which I only realized after I bought it. I will now order the K40 SF-300 Black 3 Foot which is tunable and try that.

Codfather

Welcome

It’s easy to be “off” on assembly order:
View attachment 165221
Yes, an SWR meter is needed. (ASTATIC PD-1 a generic choice. $30).

“Part” of the problem will be that an HF antenna needs a fairly large radiating surface to which it’s bonded. The roof of a minivan, for instance. But even atop an old steel garden tractor hood will get out 4-5/miles.

DC ground is different than an RF ground. Those antennas are looking for a nice good ground plane under them. Mounting it on the back corner like that is making what little ground plane you have lopsided. Mounting it in the middle of the roll cage/roof may help.

These things can have noisy ignition, which can cause some issues. Even on VHF, I've had issues with some interference, which can wipe out reception.

If CB is what you've chosen as your communications tool, here's what I'd suggest:

Power the radio POSITIVE lead directly off the battery. Do -NOT- tap into any existing wiring.
The negative power lead for the battery should be as short as possible and connected directly to the chassis of the vehicle. Do -not- run it all the way back to the battery.

Mount the antenna near the center of the roll cage, not offset like that.

Get a longer antenna. Stubby antennas like 3' are not going to be good performers, even in a perfect installation.

As mentioned above, get an SWR meter and check it.

Based on my own experience with UTV's/ATV's, I'd carefully look at interference from the ignition system and improve your antenna set up.

Either that, or get your GMRS license and get some of the Midland GMRS mobiles. They are much more forgiving when it comes to antennas and noise.
I'm powered from the accessory bus bar but I will power it directly from the battery to see if that helps. I will also get an K40 SF-300 Black 3 Foot which is tunable because the one I have now is not. Moving or getting a longer antenna is not an option and I am not looking for very long range, just want something to cover our group over 1000ft or so.

niceguy71

I think the roof of that unit is fiberglass???? only metal for ground plane is the engine and frame/roll bar..... will that antenna system even work with so little metal??? ... I know they have boat antenna's that are non ground plane... but is that the antenna he has?
I like and promote CB's but I can't see a CB working on that vehicle.
riding around the trails I wouldn't even want a 3 foot antenna never mind one longer..... perhaps it would be wise to go to a different radio type as Mmckenna mentioned.

Codfather

I am not looking for large range, all I want is 2000ft or so to cover my group. I'm aware that a UTV does not have a good ground plane with the limited amount of metal. Hopefully the tunable antenna will help along with the radio now being powered directly from the battery.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I think the roof of that unit is fiberglass???? only metal for ground plane is the engine and frame/roll bar..... will that antenna system even work with so little metal??? ... I know they have boat antenna's that are non ground plane... but is that the antenna he has?
I like and promote CB's but I can't see a CB working on that vehicle.
riding around the trails I wouldn't even want a 3 foot antenna never mind one longer..... perhaps it would be wise to go to a different radio type as Mmckenna mentioned.

We have a Polaris Rzr with an aluminum roof. Depends on the design.

The marine VHF antennas are usually some sort of sleeve dipole and don't require a ground plane, but obviously not appropriate for CB use.

I've got a 1/2 wave VHF whip on the top of the roll cage of my Polaris Ranger. It's about 9 feet to the tip when installed. It's hit some tree branches at 40+ MPH and not had an issue.

If it was me, and it had a metal roof:
-I'd install a Larsen NMO-27 with a spring at the base of the whip right in the center of the roof.
-I'd add a large external speaker to the CB so it was useable when running down the trails.

1000 feet should be easily achievable. I suspect there are some issues with the antenna, and probably a healthy dose of ignition or LED light noise that is wiping out the receiver.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Even with a properly mounted antenna on a fiberglass roof with a bad match you should be getting out at least a mile and it sounds more like the antenna system is grounded out at the mount. Play particular attention to the diagram in post #4 and verify the whip side of the mount is not grounded.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
The antenna and hardware appears to be identical to the Firestik II relabeled as a Tram. You need to make sure the plastic/nylon bushing is on top of the mounting surface area and centers the antenna stud away from the mounting surface and not grounding against the mounting surface. The flat side of the bushing should be pointing towards the antenna and spring assembly.

Also, you bought your components from Amazon and I would wring out everything because I don't trust anything from Amazon. Check the cable to make sure there are no shorts by checking to see if you have any continuity between the center conductor and the outside of the connector with a volt meter. You should not have any continuity at all and if you do, you have a short in the cable either a faulty cable or installation of the connectors.

You do need to check the VSWRs. A very high VSWR above 6:1 would indicate that you may have a short. You should be achieving at least 1.1 to 1.2:1 with the Firstik and at least below 2.0:1

Also, the antenna is adjustable. You need to take off the red rubber tip and adjust the tip accordingly. If your swr on Ch 1 is higher than ch 40 your tip is too short and if it is higher on ch. 40 than ch 1 the tip is too long. Only adjust the tip an 1/8" at a time and you need to check the swr with the red rubber tip on the antenna each time. You should be checking the VSWRs with the vehicle outside of the garage and away from any walls. Also, it would be best to check it with the engine running and the radio getting the proper DC voltage.