Install ProVoice,now I receive nothing? No IL or IN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkBradley

Hello,anyone come across this,I am in Northwest Indiana,20 miles from Chicago,and seems to be many Provoice channels,( I think,according to the map),and I purchased ProVoice and installed it with the code. Anyway,now that I put this on my BCD536HP scanner,I cannot receive anything,nothing in Illinois,(Chicago Cook and Will county)and nothing on the Lake County Public Safety,Project 25 Phase II,APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive and the Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T (P-25) and the Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T (Motorola) Motorola Type II SmartZone Omnilink. And Illinois STARCOM21 Statewide Illinois Project 25 Phase II,APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive.
After installing,I went and re did my Favorites list,I even cleared the previous favorites list and started clean.Am I missing something,is there something I am to do after the installation of ProVoice????? I figured this is straight up,install and I figured it should take over and pick up the ProVoice channels,or Talkgroups that work with the upgrade?
Any ideas,I see that the ProVoice is installed,it tells me it is activated,so I may not have something set correct,or something not checked,this is totally unreal,even the trunking DISCOVERY will not pick up NOTHING AT ALL,but I can listen to the weather.
Any help would be APPRECIATED,if I am missing something...Should I set the scanner to Scanning,ID Scanning,or ID searching????? Got me,,,Thank you,,,,,

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Il and IN use P25. Not EDACS ProVOICE

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

MarkBradley

Hello milf,so you are telling me I wasted my money,correct? But according to the map they have for the ProVoice,they have the blue dots on the area around Chicago and the corner of Northwest Indiana? So the map is wrong,or is the map for a different type of download like the DNR/MotoTRBO upgrade possibly? I was having a issue with picking up certain areas,so I figured that the ProVoice might help with the Talkgroups and certain frequencies when I am scanning either IL or IN.So i did not need this system at all,as this what your are telling me??I appreciate you letting me know,so if I ever sell the scanner,I have at least one of the upgrades installed,so this is all I can do. Thank you for the response,so I guess I am screwed out of $50.00. Shame on me,don't know why they showed this on that map,not fair to show this and it is not in my area,or I read something incorrect.Thanks again milf,I will try to re install my favorites and figure something out...Have a great day...

Ed6698

I don't think anyone is using ProVoice here in Lake County area. Basically that upgrade was not needed, you would have been better off getting the DMR upgrade, even then IMO there is nothing DMR in this area that even interests me.

I also would like to know what map you are talking about.

ChrisABQ

Maybe since it's Uniden's map that sold you into an upgrade you did not need and cannot use, maybe they should reimburse you the money you spent and let you keep the upgrade anyways. Or maybe give you the DMR upgrade for free.

INDY72

If you ever travel and take your scanner, you will be glad to have ProVoice and DMR upgrades.

DMR yes... ProVOICE... Not so much. ProVOICE upgrade is only good on EDACS Systems with ProVOICE enabled. EDACS is an Discontinued format, and is no longer supported by Harris. It will be going bye bye in most locations fairly quickly, and then die an slow painful, EXPENSIVE death in locations that have stockpiles of gear. But here is where that won't help them,... The CORE. If there is an Core failure, that is all she wrote as you will not get anything but sideways looks from most radio shops. Anyway, DMR is an quickly growing format that is going to be here for a very long time.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Agreed!

If you ever travel and take your scanner, you will be glad to have ProVoice and DMR upgrades.

Yes, I love my 436HP and would not trade it for any other model other than a 536HP. I am done with Whistler and GRE after they've continued to disappoint me with their lack of forethought in radio design.

The Uniden tracks DMR. Whistler does not track DMR. Furthermore, I want a fully capable scanner when I travel. Yes, there are a few remaining PV systems out there, but it is well worth the $50.

In your area, I would not consider any other radio since I love how the 436HP handles a robust urban scanning environment.

Keep your radio!

ryradio

Premium Subscriber
I was under the assumption the only thing DMR in Lake Co. was the schools, some private business's and some public works departments which isn't interesting to me.

But looking at the list today, http://www.digitalfrequencysearch.com/Search/DMRdisplay.php

I see Lake Co. Sherriff and Prompt has some frequencies listed.

So now I am wondering,iIs there any PD/EMS traffic on DMR in Lake Co worth monitoring??

DJ11DLN

Whistler does not track DMR.!
I'll have to gently break that bit of news to my WS-1098 and let it know that it should go silent on all of those DMR channels it's been monitoring for me. I hope the poor thing doesn't go into shock when it finds out that it's doing something that it isn't supposed to be able to do.:lol:

MarkBradley

DMR to ProVoice upgrade mistake???

Hello to all,I have been out of town,seems like forever.So buying the ProVoice was a waste,it seems that I screwed up. The the Possibility of having the DMR may be a different story as there is Lake County Police of the DMR system. Should I contact Uniden and see id I could get a exchange from ProVoice to DMR,if they would let me. The map the had really screwed me up,it actually was a trap for me to purchase this,but know I know I did a Boo Boo.
Any suggestions what to do,do I eat this,and purchase the DMR,or to I contact the customer service and explain the situation of I was lured in,or just explain that I did not,( Really ) understand what I was purchasing.Thanks if anyone can give me a idea of what to do,sell the scanner with the ProVoice and purchase another,or explain what the situation is and see if they will help me out.Thanks to all,any ideas can help me decide and think of what to do,totally lost,,Brain Fart and Malfunction..have a great day,,Mark....

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I love my 436HP and would not trade it for any other model other than a 536HP. I am done with Whistler and GRE after they've continued to disappoint me with their lack of forethought in radio design.

Keep your radio!

How's that NXDN working out for ya? 😇

DJ11DLN

Hello to all,I have been out of town,seems like forever.So buying the ProVoice was a waste,it seems that I screwed up. The the Possibility of having the DMR may be a different story as there is Lake County Police of the DMR system. Should I contact Uniden and see id I could get a exchange from ProVoice to DMR,if they would let me. The map the had really screwed me up,it actually was a trap for me to purchase this,but know I know I did a Boo Boo.
Any suggestions what to do,do I eat this,and purchase the DMR,or to I contact the customer service and explain the situation of I was lured in,or just explain that I did not,( Really ) understand what I was purchasing.Thanks if anyone can give me a idea of what to do,sell the scanner with the ProVoice and purchase another,or explain what the situation is and see if they will help me out.Thanks to all,any ideas can help me decide and think of what to do,totally lost,,Brain Fart and Malfunction..have a great day,,Mark....
I doubt that Uniden will "exchange" your ProVoice upgrade for the DMR upgrade. Won't hurt to ask, the worst thing they can say is no. The deal breaker would be disabling ProVoice on your scanner, not sure it would be do-able, I'm not familiar enough with that aspect of the X36hp series.

Different part of the state than you but I've come across a good bit of interesting stuff around here (Terra Hut area) that's now using DMR. I think you will too, as MILF said, it's going to be around for a long time and the gear is pretty affordable which always equals popularity. Plus the dealers will hammer customers with older gear because we all know that "digital is better," LOL, and a lot will go for it. Probably best to write off the ProVoice upgrade as a lesson learned to always do your due diligence before opening your wallet in the future. Don't feel bad, it's happened to all of us in one way or another. Take a look at the DB for your area and see, and if there's enough stuff of interest using it, go ahead and get the DMR upgrade when you can afford it and just put the whole ProVoice thing behind you.

That's my $0.02.

MarkBradley

DRM upgrade

Hello,thank you for the reply,I know a lesson learned. I am in the Northwest Indiana area,Cedar Lake,St. John area,I think I need to do some more reading on what is in my area,since they changed to Phase II,it seems everything is screwed up,have a hard time receiving anything on the 536,seems like everything disappeared from what I listened to before.It seems Cedar lake is still conventional as I received some receive from the town,and Scherriville seems to still be conventional still.But Lake County Police seems to hard to find,but pick up some Sheriff.
I am going to have to look at the DMR list for my area and see if there is any interesting thing to listen to,as now someone gave me the web site to look at what is on DMR for my area.I think I may wait until winter before the purchase as now I am outside more and in the garage more,I can use my Samsung Galaxy with the Siren on it but it is not loud enough the hear it.I have a router range extender to use my laptop outside in the garage,and the Galaxy reaches in the garage,but need to figure out a loud speaker.
But as for now,I learned a lesson to read before listening to someone who told me to get the ProVoice,I have notice maybe a few different things coming over the scanner,but it seems like a bunch of salesman or garbage,not worth listening to.Maybe I will ask the wife as see if we have a few extra bucks I can use,as on a budget from be disabled from a bad back,and a stroke when I was 40.I worked on Chrysler's,Jeep's,Eagle's,Plymouth's,Dodge's,for 18 years,doing lots of the heavy work as engine's,Transmission's,and many of Transfer cases and rear ends,took a toll on my body.Thanks again for the reply and I will talk to the wife,maybe for a birthday gift,but will have to wait till August.Talk soon,enjoy scanning,I love it,I also have my ticket,but it is for a Novice from way back when you needed Morse code,need to upgrade.Thanks,talk soon,enjoy my friend,Mark

DJ11DLN

Well, hang in there. Probably a good idea to let it rest for the summer, not much point in expanding your modes when you're not going to be listening all that much. I know what it is to be short on cash, I've been that way far more than the opposite in 54 years so I do get it. What I do is, whenever my pocket change gets a little out of hand, I throw the whole mess of it into a big coffee can. Likewise $1's, if I have more than five of them in my wallet, all but a couple go into that can (actually an envelope in the can, the bank's change sorter gizmo doesn't like paper money). I call it "the toy fund," and I've done it for most of my life. When it gets full, I take it to the bank and cash it in, and put the folding money in an envelope. It adds up surprisingly fast, and is usually pretty painless. And it's been used to make up an end-of-month shortfall far more times than I've ever bought toys, which would be radio- or firearms-related items, with it, LOL. Best of luck to you.

Ed6698

Actually I would not even bother with the DMR upgrade either in Lake County. The Sheriff does not even use it as far as what I could tell since Lake County went to P25. Other then listening to schools, school buses and ambulance service announcing start/end of shift, DMR is useless IMO for Lake County. I messed with DMR for a week or so, and gave up, there is nothing of interest for DMR to me. I actually deleted out all my DMR programming.

The Lake County P25 Phase II and the new State P25 Phase I system should be giving you plenty to listen to, the systems are active always, and very active on the weekends, I usually have 2 scanners going to keep up.

Last edited:

INDY72

Unlike here in INDY where DMR is busy with 3 or 4 EMS agencies, buses, schools, many businesses, hospital ops and security, college ops etc on DMR on top of the IDPS P25 and SAFE-T P25. And then multiple LTR and conventional systems.

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.