installation in windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

br0adband

DSD and DSD+ (two different programs, different authors - that we suspect, that is, but very similar in operation) are just command line executable programs i.e. they are both just a <program>.exe file and nothing more. There's nothing to really install save for needing to have the lame_enc.dll file included in the same directory as DSD+ - the original DSD has no such requirement, and the lame.enc.dll is readily available at Rarewares.org as part of the LAME bundle or at other locations online (it can't be distributed directly with DSD+ hence you need to get it from another location).

Aside from that, you would need a discriminator tapped scanner to provide the signal that DSD and DSD+ require for decoding purposes, or you can use one of these newfangled "cheap USB TV tuner sticks" aka RTL sticks most of us are really getting involved with for SDR purposes - SDR meaning Software Defined Radio. If you have the tapped scanner or RTL stick then it's a question of the audio system on the Windows computer in question and getting the audio path right so the signal goes from the source through the sound system inputs to DSD or DSD+ and then back out from DSD or DSD+ to the main audio out, typically the speakers on most people's computers, etc.

DSD will use typical inputs/outputs on a computer and can't really be configured much at all whereas DSD+ is far more configurable in that respect by allowing you to specify the input and output devices or mixers. In Windows you'd need to make sure either the Stereo Mix or the Recording Mix or the "What You Hear" mix is where DSD or DSD+ get their source from, and then it'll get piped out to the speakers (again, typically) or in DSD+'s case, another output you can choose from the ones available.

It sounds difficult and I suppose it can be in some respects but, think of using DSD or DSD+ as a simple pathway: you have to get the source (the baseband audio required to decode digital comms or control channel data) through the audio subsystem to DSD or DSD+ and then back out again to a destination so you can actually hear what those digital data streams (for the comms) represent in terms of actual voice comms. Control channel data isn't really decoded into voice output so that won't be an issue, an app like Unitrunker in particular is outstanding for such purposes.

Hope this helps get you started, and by all means read over the past few weeks of threads here in this subforum because DSD has been around for about 2 years now and DSD+ just "hit the market" so to speak in early December 2013, it's the new kid on the block but it's gaining in popularity very quickly due to it being so configurable. I still use DSD from time to time for testing decoding on some systems, but DSD+ is my go-to digital speech decoder overall.

If you have questions (and you do, or you will), just ask...

Boatanchor

can any one give me clear instructions an how to install DSD in windows? I have given up on Ubuntu.

Download DSDplus and unzip into a 'DSDPus' directory.
from
https://mega.co.nz/#!dxBEES5T!URN1d1aqbIX8wCqHCKpCuiI0J-VB7GaF9oP_42vUHaE

Then,

Download and install Lame from:
LAME MP3 Encoder

After installing lame, go to the lame install directory and copy the file 'lame_enc.dll'.
Paste the file 'lame_enc.dll' into your DSDPlus directory with all the other DSDPlus files.

Thats it..

You will need to run DSD.exe from a DOS prompt or better still a small batch file within Windows.
Using the default settings (no command line switches), DSDPlus will use your default windows recording device (usually mic or line)
as it's input.

If using an RTL device, just select your Virtual Audio cable as the input.

Read the DSDPlus txt file for more option.

I run DSDplus in Windows 8.1 with no problems.

Last edited:

Joe1938

Thanks for the reply. I am back on the Ubuntu computer and have straightened out some things but can
call up dsd now, but it has errors right away and won't run. Do you know any thing about Ubuntu? Any way, if I give up on it again, I will try your suggestion on windows. Also, is DSDPlus the same as DSD-Master?

Joe1938

Installed DSDPlus and the Lame file on my windows 8 computer as you instructed and its running. I am using a iMic for the input from a Radio Shack Pro 433 scanner. the tap is from a pad on the circuit board marked "DATA". It is the pure Pro Voice digital data stream. The DSD+ header at the top reads "DSD+-----------------Lvl=57% S/S=4800(Auto) P=(Auto). The display shows that "audio input device #1 <microphone <iMic usb audio syst> initialized. The audio output device #1 (onboard audio) is also initialized. I havn't heard anything from the speakers. I do not know how to set the DSD+ options, and could use some help with that. I will only be using it to decode Pro Voice.

Boatanchor

Installed DSDPlus and the Lame file on my windows 8 computer as you instructed and its running. I am using a iMic for the input from a Radio Shack Pro 433 scanner. the tap is from a pad on the circuit board marked "DATA". It is the pure Pro Voice digital data stream. The DSD+ header at the top reads "DSD+-----------------Lvl=57% S/S=4800(Auto) P=(Auto). The display shows that "audio input device #1 <microphone <iMic usb audio syst> initialized. The audio output device #1 (onboard audio) is also initialized. I havn't heard anything from the speakers. I do not know how to set the DSD+ options, and could use some help with that. I will only be using it to decode Pro Voice.

Sorry, can't help you with Linux.

Firstly, the scanner tap should have a 10K resistor fitted in series with it.
If you are getting 'LVL=57%' in the header line, the audio level is probably pretty close and should work OK. However, to make sure you are actually listening to discriminator audio and not 60Hz hum, turn the scanner off and make sure the 'LVL' drops to 0%.

It's always best to use the Line input if your computer allows it. The mic input is far too sensitive and will be sensitive to hum and other external noise. Does your PC ask you to select Mic or Line when you plug the audio cable in? If so, select line..

Are you getting any data decode lines that scroll down the screen when there is traffic?

Not sure if you have any nearby, but it may be best to try monitoring a P25 system first and get that working before doing the ProVoice.

Edit: I just looked up the iMic. It is possible that there might be a sample rate conflict between the iMic driver and DSDplus.
DSDPlus requires an audio sample rate of 44k (or thereabouts), the iMic might be set to 96k or even higher..
Doesn't your Windows 8 PC have a mic/line input?

Rick

Last edited:

Joe1938

Yes, I get occasional sync:+NXDN96 CB Data or VOICE and similar ones. Right now I really need to know how to set the DSD+ options-it doesn't mention how to do this in the user guide, only what the settings are. Can you help with that?

racingfan360

Just to add, I have successfully used an iMic on both DSD and DSD+......I actually find it is one of the best USB sound cards that I have tested with these programs. My experience with DSD is that the higher the sampling rate of the sound card the better the performance. Initial testing of DSD+ suggests the same is true.

Joe1938

Thank you to broadband and boatanchor for helping me to get DSDPlus installed.That sure is easy in windows 8. The rest of it I had to figure out myself. It took a while, but I enjoyed the challenge, and it was a good learning experience. Provoice is up and running perfectly.
Joe1938

SCPD

QRT
I installed unitrunker in virtualbox(xp virtual system) on a Debian host. I got everything set up EXCEPT, whenever data comes into dsd via the vbcable, it drops the audio level to 0% for some reason. The level changes in dsd when I change the volume, so the vb cable is set up right as far as I can tell.

Any ideas why that might be? I heard that virtualbox doesn't always handle the usb filters well and I was wondering if that was maybe the issue but I have no idea, and since the control channel decodes it makes me think maybe not. I'm using vbcable donationware for the VAC. I haven't tried another VAC yet but will probably do it just to rule it out even though I don't suspect it to be the issue. Both RTL devices appear to be working in general in the virtual system. Listening to an FM station is audible, etc. Unitrunker does run both dongles. It's just the dsd and the level dropping out completely when data comes in is what it appears at face value...

Getting this far was a challenge, it would really stink to be so close and not get it.

Last edited:

Joe1938

I'm not familiar with any of the software/hardware you are using. See previous threads for my setup.
I can tell you that after I got the software and the hardware working that I was only getting sporadic
bursts of info on the DSD+ display. This stymied me for awhile until I switched the scanner out of trunked mode. Surprise, DSD+ was decoding everything perfectly. That of course is because the scanner is set
up to not stop on digital data transmissions in the trunked mode. I have not been able to find a way to change this on either one of my scanners. If it is not changeable then the manufacturers should remedy this in the software/firmware. I have also set this up in my other system using a Uniden BCT15X with a discriminator tap thru a 10k resistor and a windows 7 computer. Same thing with the trunked mode-only works in the non trunked mode.

Joe1938

SCPD

QRT
That is an important peice of information I left out. I'm using rtl dongles so it's not tap related. The dongles appear to be working ok in the virtualbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.