Installing a Base Antenna in a High Wind Ares

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneBadUukha

I live in an area that experiences high winds for about 30 days out of the year. Winds range from 20-60 mph. Can anyone recommend an outdoor scanner antenna or steps to take to protect the antenna from high winds? Thanks.

n5ims

First off, securely mount any antenna onto an oversized tower. For example, don't use the typical push-up pole, or other home-made type of mounting (PVC, fence rail pipes, etc.) since they may work in generally low wind conditions, they're not made to withstand high wind conditions. Shorter towers will withstand wind better than tall towers so minimize your height. Read the wind load specs on your tower and get one that's designed to work in your high winds! Oversize your tower base as well. The typical 3x3x3 base (for example) may not work well for you so try something larger, 4x4x4 or larger may be necessary. Guys will probably be necessary as well.

You don't indicate what band or bands you monitor so I can't say "get this antenna, it'll work for you". I can give you some more generic advice though. Ignore the typical home hobbyist antennas. Go for a commercial antenna, they're designed to work 24/7/365. It will be expensive, but you'll probably only need to buy it once. With a flimsy design you'll end up replacing it many times. Be aware that you won't get one of those "dc to daylight" antennas (more specifically 30 MHz - 1 GHz or higher), but in most cases you only monitor one or two bands anyway so that shouldn't be an issue. That single band antenna will probably work better on the designed frequency band than one with a huge frequency range anyway.

N8IAA

Why don't you put the antenna in the attic? Winds won't bother it then.
I believe by one of his other posts, he resides in LA county. Really can't help without location. One of the key factors in getting worthwhile info.
Larry

OneBadUukha

Why don't you put the antenna in the attic? Winds won't bother it then.
I believe by one of his other posts, he resides in LA county. Really can't help without location. One of the key factors in getting worthwhile info.
Larry

Sorry about that. Yep. I live in the Los Angeles area. We get the Santa Ana winds in the San Fernando Valley several times per year. They can be brutal.

I never thought of putting it in the attic. I have plenty of room there. Is that a common location that yields good results?

As for n5ims' question, I'll be listening primarily on the VHF and UHF bands. I'm considering getting this...

OmniX Scanner Base Antenna

Any thoughts?

N8IAA

Sorry about that. Yep. I live in the Los Angeles area. We get the Santa Ana winds in the San Fernando Valley several times per year. They can be brutal.

I never thought of putting it in the attic. I have plenty of room there. Is that a common location that yields good results?

As for n5ims' question, I'll be listening primarily on the VHF and UHF bands. I'm considering getting this...

OmniX Scanner Base Antenna

Any thoughts?

It will work quite well, especially if you don't have a metal roof and aluminum siding.
I agree on the MP antenna. Believe it or not, I know the man who designed the antenna. He was in one of my ham radio classes back in Ohio. Got his Tech license and then all the way to Extra.
Well built and will work across many bands.
HTH,
Larry

Rred

If "reliable" is the sole criteria, check out "Antenna Experts". They focus on the commercial and military markets, and many of their antennas are rated to withstand winds of 200kph, which is 125mph, on a repeated basis. Ain't cheap--but the quality is impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.