• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

    Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

    If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

    To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

    The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

    For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

    This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Installing a CS-800D into a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee


Dec 1, 2016
Pine Ridge, SC
Howdy folks,
I have a CS-800D that I would like to install in my Jeep. My goal is to "hardwire" the radio and make it a permanent install. Through the research I've done online, there seems to be two answers to the question of wiring. Some say to run the positive wire to the fuse box and the negative wire to a screw on the vehicle's chassis, while others say to run the positive wire straight to the battery and the negative to the chassis. Both wires have 15A fuses already attached, so would this mean that I don't have to run it to the fuse box? Please pardon my ignorance on this topic, I haven't hardwired a radio in a vehicle before.


I ♥ Ø
Jul 27, 2005
Installation guides for commercial two way radios will always instruct you to run your positive power lead directly to the positive battery post, and your negative power lead to chassis ground. You can leave the fuse on the negative lead, or remove it, it will not serve a purpose if you are connecting to chassis ground.

Tapping into existing wiring is a bad idea on many levels:
1. Existing wiring may be undersized for the current draw of the radio.
2. Existing wiring is often bundled in with all kinds of other vehicle electronics. That creates an easy path for all the RF noise generated by the vehicle to get into your radio.


Premium Subscriber
Apr 25, 2011
I've found that running the power straight to the battery and fusing it there while keeping the ground short as possible to be best. A good short well connected body ground has always worked good for me. I will however usually add in a relay on my positive wire triggered by an ignition source to turn the radio on and off as I'm forgetful. You can pick up an add a fuse tap at any parts store that will make adding the trigger for the relay easy.