• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Installing into a Race car......

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSBDEKev

I took the plunge 2 years ago and started building an NMCA Drag car. We have a 02 WS6 Trans Am that, if everything works out as planned should debut this spring and run in the mid 8's in the quarter mile.

I wanted to have communications with my crew at the starting line, during the run and, in and around the pit area so I purchased 5 surplus Sabers as well as a couple of shoulder mics and the BDN headsets with boom mics and PTT. I also bought a convert a com to put into the car and run while driving instead of having the portable rattling around the inside of the car at 170 MPH.

So,,,,questions:

- Should I run an external antenna and place it up on the center of the roof for the convert a com?

- Any ideas on what I will need to run a set of speakers and a mic into my helmet and then to the radio in the convert a com?

- Anybody have shops in mind that might be able to do the helmet wiring required?

Fire away if ya'll have ideas.

Thanks,
Kev

petey_racer

Premium Subscriber
Great idea. I had thought of this but I never had a "crew". Just whoever could come to the track with me or whoever was there that day.
I did fashion a cage mount video camera mount. That worked out well.

This place has some nice stuff for racing radios. http://www.ruggedradios.com/
Just keep in mind much of what the offer is highly illegal, such as VHF marine radios for use in obviously land based vehicles.

Then there's always the real deal: http://www.racingradios.com/

All you'd need on the car is a tiny NMO mount quarter wave whip. UHF would only be about 4" tall.

n8emr

Being that a run cant be more than a few seconds and I am thinking your pretty busy during that time time why would you even consider talking to someone? I can see communications needs during stage and after a run but not during the race.

Also what band is your license for? (YOU DID GET A LICENSE DIDNT YOU?)

Regarding antenna you only taking short range, 1/4 mile track maybe 1mile max range so skip the outside antenna and mount it inside on some good solid mount. If your using UHF frequency then get one of the antennaX phantom antennas. Only about 4 inches high. More than enough for the short range needs.

N

N_Jay

Being that a run cant be more than a few seconds and I am thinking your pretty busy during that time time why would you even consider talking to someone? I can see communications needs during stage and after a run but not during the race.

Regarding antenna you only taking short range, 1/4 mile track maybe 1mile max range so skip the outside antenna and mount it inside on some good solid mount. If your using UHF frequency then get one of the antennaX phantom antennas. Only about 4 inches high. More than enough for the short range needs.

You don't need the Phantom. There is no magic there.
A 1/4 wave whip will work fine, put some copper screen under the fiberglass to make the ground plane.

Get a reputable shop to do your helmet. You don't want to compromise the safety of it.

Get a license.

Have fun.

jhooten

For a drag car get one of these http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=R and mount it to the roll bar so the radio with attached antenna is near a window and don't worry about an external antenna at all. The crew guys are going to be, what, 20 feet from the car on the line and at most a half mile at the end of the shut down area if you stuff it in the the gravel. You will have plenty of range and clear communications to call for help to pull you out.

n8emr

You don't need the Phantom. There is no magic there.
A 1/4 wave whip will work fine, put some copper screen under the fiberglass to make the ground plane.

If you put the antenna on the body then when its removed you have to disconnect the antenna. MOunt it inside and on some of the frame rails and you dont have to deal with it when the body needs to come off.

petey_racer

Premium Subscriber
If you put the antenna on the body then when its removed you have to disconnect the antenna. MOunt it inside and on some of the frame rails and you dont have to deal with it when the body needs to come off.
The main body does not come off this type of car. He has what is known as a "door car", or "doorslammer".

I do now agree that an external antenna is not really required.

I also agree, while most people ignore it, you really should do the right thing and get a license. You could even use GMRS, and if your crew is family you only need one license that lasts 5 years.

W6KRU

We use one of these in the CORR offroad buggies. It is ziptied to the rollcage and stays put pretty well in spite of the pounding the cars take. An external antenna is not needed and would just add to the complexity.

TSBDEKev

I do not but,,,, I do NOT want to violate any laws so, how and where can I apply for the correct license?

In a post later on thehis thread a member asked about the # of folks on the freq?
Answer: Myself (Lol), wife and three others that are not family.

Keep em comming folks, I apprecaite the information. I had no idea I needed a lic and definately want to have one. Besides.....I love giving my money to the government...Lol

n8emr

I do not but,,,, I do NOT want to violate any laws so, how and where can I apply for the correct license?

In a post later on thehis thread a member asked about the # of folks on the freq?
Answer: Myself (Lol), wife and three others that are not family.

Keep em comming folks, I apprecaite the information. I had no idea I needed a lic and definately want to have one. Besides.....I love giving my money to the government...Lol

Do you race at the same track or move around. Are you running on a cirucit or just a weekend hobby?
If your part of a circuit then check with the circuit orgainizers and see if they have there own set of frequencies. As for getting a frequency you need to apply for a license with the FCC Also keep in mind the radio you have MIGHT not work on the frequency the FCC assigns.

GMRS isnt a real option. You might get by with MURS (license free) for the limit use you would have.
YOu can look at some of the business band inteneriat freq or go for your own business freqeuncy. (this might be hard if you race at a lot of diffeent locations).

petey_racer

Premium Subscriber
GMRS isnt a real option. You might get by with MURS (license free) for the limit use you would have.
YOu can look at some of the business band inteneriat freq or go for your own business freqeuncy. (this might be hard if you race at a lot of diffeent locations).
I agree that MURS would be likely the best way to go, but finding complaint radios is going to be an issue.

WHY would you say GMRS is not an option? Mobiles can be up to 50 watts and HTs can be 5 watts. WAY more than enough to do what is intended. And there are many commercial radios he can choose from.
ICOM and Kenwood make quite a few Part95 radios. You can get used Kenwwod commercial radios dirt cheap, and the Icom F21GM is a tough and small HT that is perfect for the application.

N

N_Jay

I agree that MURS would be likely the best way to go, but finding complaint radios is going to be an issue.

WHY would you say GMRS is not an option? Mobiles can be up to 50 watts and HTs can be 5 watts. WAY more than enough to do what is intended. And there are many commercial radios he can choose from.
ICOM and Kenwood make quite a few Part95 radios. You can get used Kenwwod commercial radios dirt cheap, and the Icom F21GM is a tough and small HT that is perfect for the application.

Probably because of licensing requirements for non-family members.

n8emr

WHY would you say GMRS is not an option? /QUOTE]

From a license stand point, He will need a licesne for each person not a family member.
While murs is not as common, kenwood make the tk-2100 that is legal on MURS. Any part90 pre 2002 radio that can run 2 watts is legal on MURS. New gear is a little harder but still can be found with little work.
Again were talking about a VERY short distance of communications needs. 1/2 max.

Status
Not open for further replies.