Installing Scantenna This Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRHKY94

Regarding my previous outside antenna discussion thread, I will be installing the Scantenna. It will be a side mount at the eave about 35' up. A friend is helping me with the install.

I put the antenna together and tested it from first floor room where my Pro-2096 is located and the reception was significantly better than the stock antenna. I could barely receive the Manchester frequencies before (from Londonderry), but could hear them all quite well with the Scantenna inside.

My assumption is that once it's outside at 35', that would improve even more. I'll let the group know after it's up.

Thanks

Bill2k

Good to hear! What kind of hardware are you using to support the antenna? I've used the 4 inch wall mast mounts from radioshack and a 5 foot mast and had no problem with heavy wind. And this was with an 18 foot antenna attached to it! Don't forget to weather proof the connection where the coax and antenna meet. You can get coax-seal from Ham Radio Outlet. This will keep water out of you coax and keeping thing working right. Also, don't forget the drip loop right before you run the coax into your shack, you don't want to start flooding the shack, or worse , give any water a direct path to your scanner.

Good Luck :)

NYRHKY94

Scantenna Experience - Excellent So far

A quick update & review on the Scantenna. Installed today at about
35' using 12" wall mounts & a 10' mast. I'm in Londonderry and
below is a current sample of what I'm receiving so far:

Very Good to Excellent Signal

Concord PD
Stratham PD
Portsmouth PD
Bow PD
Hampton PD
Hookett PD
Pelham PD
Strafford County PD
Merrimack County PD
Bedford PD
Merrimack PD
Nashua PD
NH SP Troop B
NH SP HQ
Rockingham County PD
Raymond PD
Londonderry/Derry PD (obviously)

Good to Very Good Signal

Manchester PD
Goffstown PD

Spotty to Good Signal

MA State PD (856.23750, 860.46250 & 855.61250)

All in all, very happy with the reception and coverage. Well worth
the effort compared to the stock antenna on my new Pro-2096.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.