• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Insurance for Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title suggests, I am wondering if there is any company the can insure a professional two-way radio? I am a volunteer firefighter and was just issued a Motorola APX 6000 700/800MHz radio with a replacement value of $3,850.00. If anything happens to it on a fire scene, county insurance pays 100%, however, if I damage or lose it, or it be stolen, county insurance will only pay $1500, and I am responsible for the remaining balance. Is there any company that will insure the radio with a smaller deductible, say $500, so that should I damage or lose the radio, or someone were to steal it, I could get the radio paid for so I can be issued a replacement? Thanks for your help!

If you are a ham and belong to the ARRL they offer radio insurance

Thanks for the information, unfortunately I am not a HAM and do not have the time to take the classes to get my license right now. I would think there would be some insurance option available to public safety personnel for the expensive radio equipment.

n5ims

You may also want to check with your homeowner's policy to see if it will now cover (or might cover with an inexpensive additional rider to the policy) the radio. Be clear on who owns the radio, the cost, other coverage and your responsibility for over-limit coverage, etc. and get their answer in writing (to prevent a "yes you're covered" verbal answer now and "sorry, that's not covered" later when you make a claim).

I remember someone selling a rechargeable battery pack that contained a built in live gps tracking device which could be used for your radio if stolen. I thought it was a good idea as most people I know wont rip apart a sealed rechargeable battery pack for fear of getting acid on them or something. Although the cost was about 500 dollars and 100 dollars each month for tracking fees. Not sure if your of interest, but if you send a msg, I can put you in touch with him. One of those retired ex military paranoid types you know.

I remember someone selling a rechargeable battery pack that contained a built in live gps tracking device which could be used for your radio if stolen. I thought it was a good idea as most people I know wont rip apart a sealed rechargeable battery pack for fear of getting acid on them or something. Although the cost was about 500 dollars and 100 dollars each month for tracking fees. Not sure if your of interest, but if you send a msg, I can put you in touch with him. One of those retired ex military paranoid types you know.

The APX 6000 has GPS built in that can be activated by the radio technicians for a stolen radio and also GPS coordinates are sent to the dispatch center if the Emergency button is activated, so the GPS battery pack would not be of use for me, but thank you for the information!

Thank you all for the replies. I will certainly follow up on the suggestions. I have already contacted my homeowners company, and they will insure it only if it is stolen from the house or the house is destroyed by natural causes or criminal means that are of no fault of mine, such as a fire that was set by someone other than me. Since I have liability only on my vehicle, they will not allow me any additional equipment protection for the radio. Again, thank you all for the replies. I see that I have options and will certainly follow up on them.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I would challenge your agency's policy, as it their radio to insure, not yours. If you lose it, or it gets stolen, through your negligence, I could understand them not covering it.

Otherwise, return the radio to them, and say you will use one off the truck, at scenes.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I would challenge your agency's policy, as it their radio to insure, not yours. If you lose it, or it gets stolen, through your negligence, I could understand them not covering it.

Otherwise, return the radio to them, and say you will use one off the truck, at scenes.

The county insurance pays 100% for the radio and accesories, if it is damaged, stolen, or lost on an incident. If I am at home or out and about my daily activities, and I lose it, someone steals it, or I damage it, I am responsible for $2500 of the cost and the county insurance will pick up the other $1500. I am looking for insurance should something happen while I am not on an incident. The policy is fine, I just want insurance for my piece of mind, plus the fact that I have two nephews and a dog, so anything could happen while not on an incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.