Interactive Map That Shows All The Satellites Circling Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioTowerMaster

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
That is from the original NORAD Space Fence Program & is not projected to the public in real time but it's fascinating nonetheless, the original VHF transmitting frequency was just above FM broadcast band but I wasn't even aware that such technology existed until the in house Milcom guru Steve Douglas published an awesome VHF/UHF Military frequency book that had the new UHF frequency of 216.9 MHz or something near that & you could actually hear the pings of the objects that crossed the transmitting fence line, I used to think what if one of those pings was a Russian bomber or worst a ballistic missile, anyway they are replacing the original one that as far as I am aware was decommissioned a couple of years ago with a new very efficient modernized system. that site you posted won't let me cue into anything but that interactive 3D plot so I have no idea who's providing that program, maybe a joint effort like the multitude of agencies that took over NORADS OTHB-R Program since PAVE PAWS is much more survivable, cost effective, less prone to atmospheric anomalies & resilient.

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS3AkMAj8so

nd5y

The space fence operated on 216.97 - 216.99. Back in the early 1990s I worked at the main transmit site here in north TX, which was on 216.98. It was originally the Naval Space Surveillance System but turned over to the Air Force in about 2004 and shut down in 2013.

RadioTowerMaster

Banned
The space fence operated on 216.97 - 216.99. Back in the early 1990s I worked at the main transmit site here in north TX, which was on 216.98. It was originally the Naval Space Surveillance System but turned over to the Air Force in about 2004 and shut down in 2013.

You must have some stories to tell, well at least the unclassified ones. Can you recall what the original VHF frequency was? I believe it was just above 108.0 MHz. For the life of me I can't find the exact frequency anywhere on the internet.

nd5y

You must have some stories to tell, well at least the unclassified ones. Can you recall what the original VHF frequency was? I believe it was just above 108.0 MHz. For the life of me I can't find the exact frequency anywhere on the internet.

The original system was built by Raytheon in 1961. All I ever found out said the original frequency was 108 MHz. I assume it was exactly 108.0 MHz but I never found out for sure.

They upgraded it several times and sometime in the 70s or 80s changed to 216.98 MHz with antenna mounted solid state amplifiers and power supplies.

Nothing about the system was classified that I know of. Field station employees did not need security clearances. Some of the people I worked with could never have even gotten one.

I don't have any interesting stories that have anyting to do with radio or electronics or the station itself. The 9 field stations were run by a contractor. It was a crappy low paying job. At the time I was there the contractor was an Indian tribal company. I was there 2 years and the Navy only showed up one time.

All we did at the transmit sites was keep a carrier on the air. We maintained the poorly designed equipment that probably worked fine in Raytheon's lab in Mass. but not outdoors in the heat in the southern states.

The receive sites listened for reflected echoes and measured the doppler shift and phase angle of the echoes and fed the data to HQ at the Space Operations Center at the Naval Surface Warfare Center in Dahlgren, VA. Maybe some of the data was classified after that but the field stations had nothing to do with it. I never visited Dahlgren or any other field stations so I don't know what the rest of the system was like.

Whoever wrote the Wikipedia article got the frequency wrong and other information. It says 216.983 MHz but in real life it was 216.98. The fill-in transmitters in AZ and AL were 216.97 and 216.99. The signal was generated by HP 5061A cesium beam frequency standards. Some clown probably drove by with a cheap uncalibrated amateur/CB frequency counter that picked up 216.983 or something. Also the picture says it is from 2001 but it's a picture of the old wire ground plane that was replaced with aluminum panels in the 80s.

RadioTowerMaster

Banned
Thanks Tom for that treasure trove of information, I guess maybe it wasn't classified since it didn't have any strategic implications. Maybe BMEWS then NWS were the primary SAC/NORAD programs back then. Always something new to learn, again thanks & have a good weekend.

SCPD

QRT
Look at all that crap up there. Who is going to clean it up?, try one of them Dyson vacuum cleaners. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.