Interested in a short wave reciever

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This really isn't the right forum for this, but I thought I'd just throw these out there....

Mike

VA3TFC

We still don't know if the o.p. wants a portable radio or a desk one. Also do they want a full coverage receiver with SSB or just a simple am/fm/sw radio they can use occasionally or in case of emergency. I myself lean towards the portable models since they're small and light and I plan on doing some dxing outdoors this summer. Brands like Tecsun, Sangean, Eton and Grundig offer fine shortwave radios at reasonable prices. I just ordered a Tecsun 310et. Hopefully it will arrive this week.

61yUR1EWNWL._AC_SX569_.jpg

majoco

Stirrer
What Mike KA3JJZ said:
It takes some skill and practice to learn when and how to use these capabilities. It is the difference between listening to the radio vs. using it to it's full potential.

A long time ago my instructor said:

"It's better to know what your equipment can't do, than to not know what it can do"

N2IXX

TECSUN PL-380 is a nice small handheld radio with good reception but no SSB going for $50 or less
Tecsun PL-880 is a very good receiver IMHO, with SSB, DSP and external antenna jack, going for around $150 and up. Not quite a desktop bigger than handheld
Tecsun PL-660 has a very good sync detector with SSB and external antenna jack and running around $100.

Just 3 examples of decent Shortwave radios that I have and use

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I've had so many portables over the years and almost all of them were disappointing compared to even a decent desktop receiver, if not in basic performance, for ease of use alone. I only have a couple at this point, a Sangean oldy that gets SSB with a BFO, and a Tecsun PL-660 that works pretty well, but I really hate the control layout. Those sideways knobs are a huge mistake, IMHO. Yet they keep on using that setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.