Interested in amateur radio / Where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

forums manager

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
playrott, welcome to the forums. I have moved your post to your own thread in the correct forum. Please take a moment to read over our rules and guidelines so that when you post it goes to the proper place to ensure you get the best attention, and it doesn't break any rules too.

A rule of thumb is any time you want to ask a question you should create a new thread, unless you have an existing thread similar in topic.

Don't forget to read this forum. In fact read, read, read before asking a question since this is a large and busy forum; no doubt someone else as asked also.

frazpo

I am wanting to get into ham radio and need help do so I live in portage Indiana can anyone help

Have you researched what area of Ham radio you would like to enter into? Local stuff? ( 2 meter). Are you interested in HF (long distance). Some get into ham for storm chasing or storm spotting. Give a little idea what your interested in. Have you been listening to local 2 meter traffic?

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Go here: Search for ARRL Affiliated Clubs and find a local club. They'll have info on classes, if any, and when/where they are. You may also find an Elmer (tutor) that will help get your ticket if there are no classes in the area.

They'll also know about where the local tests are held when you're ready.

khooke

There's plenty of getting started and general info on the ARRL site: ARRL | Licensing, Education & Training | Getting on the Air

Given how diverse the hobby is, knowing what specific area(s) you're interested in will help focus both your studies and others to be able to suggest where to go for info/help.

The first step is getting your Tech license. The ARRL License Manual covers everything you need to pass the exam (there's one book per exam for each of the license levels): Ham Radio License Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.