Interested in putting up a live feed...Couple of questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
First let me start by describing exactly what I'd like to feed. It would be a feed of our 6 fire rescue tac channels. All channels are VHF in the 150-155 range, and the scanner would be set up within walking distance to dispatch. I would like to have the text tags viewable on the net as to what channel you are listening to. What scanner would I need to have to acomplish this? Also, what speed (ram, processor, OS) computer would I need?

Thanks!

wolter

I have no idea what's available for MacOS, but here's a couple of ideas for Windows.

Windows Media Encoder (WME) with a web cam. I have seen people do this and it works well. Point the camera directly at the scanner's display, then have WME encode the audio & video and broadcast. A computer-controlled scanner is not necessary, neither is scanner software. For computer system and internet bandwidth requirements/recommendations of WME, visit
WME's requirement page.

ARC-EazyStream from Butel Software. This recently released software will encode and broadcast both audio and a visual readout of your scanner's display. A computer-controllable scanner is required. Clients must use ARC-EazyStream client software to connect to the feed. For more details, including compatable scanners and computer requirements, visit ARC-Eazystream's webpage.

Any feed server will require either a static IP address or a dynamic DNS service if you wish it to be available to clients outside your LAN.

Best wishes.

Last edited:

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
Wolter - thanks for the info!

Which scanners are computer controlled, and how do they connect to the computer? (ie. what type of cable(s) )?

tspainiv

Shelby Co DB Admin
Database Admin
Uniden models are the only available that are computer controlled. None of the radio shacks can be controlled by a computer.

For an example of the windows media encoder and webcam, check out my live feed. I'm using a Pro-2096. I love WME, I like it alot better than winamp and it's the only way to stream a Radioshack scanner if you want the text tags visable.

wolter

UFEMTFF said:
Wolter - thanks for the info!

Which scanners are computer controlled, and how do they connect to the computer? (ie. what type of cable(s) )?
You bet. Feeding audio and video/data is quite simple.

To expand a bit on what tspainiv said, RS scanners are not controlled by a computer, but some can be programmed by a computer.

The Uniden scanners that can be controlled & programmed via computer will come with the necessary cable. I believe the cable is an optional accessory for RS scanners. Computer control works through a serial connection with DB-9, so your computer will require either a serial port or a USB port with a serial adapter.

The best thing you can do is to visit Unden's and Radio Shack's respective website and download the owner's manual for each scanner to see the details. Since WME does not require a compuer-controlled scanner, any scanner is compatable with it. Butel's description of their ARC-EazySteam gives a complete list of scanners that is compatable with their software. (But now that I think about it, you might be able to use any scanner with it; you just won't be able to see the readout with an uncompatable scanner. But don't take my words about it as the authority!)

Last edited:

wolter

tspainiv -- nice feed! I'd say that you're a good source of info for anyone who wishes to set up a WME feed.

tspainiv

Shelby Co DB Admin
Database Admin
wolter said:
tspainiv -- nice feed! I'd say that you're a good source of info for anyone who wishes to set up a WME feed.

Thank you for the compliments. I used to not have the video portion up, but started to try it and it's working pretty good!!

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
Thanks everyone for the info. I'll probably end up getting a uniden and that special software that allows for the text, without a camera. That way, I can lock both the computer and scanner up in a dark closet of the station, without others being able to mess with either.

Status
Not open for further replies.