• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Interested in scanning and new to amateur/ham P25 (Non-trunking)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stripes

Hello! I have been a analog scanner since I was 16 and I've learned a good amount about simplex and repeater operations in analog. I am now 22 and with my knowledge, I went ahead and got my GMRS license to participate in nets and use repeaters. Its all very exciting! Im now working on acquiring my amateur radio license as a result and would like to see about scanning ham P25 until I get my license, as a challenge to myself, to get a taste of it and try something new. I am interested in ham P25 since I use 2 Motorola XTS1500 (1 vhf, 1 uhf) for scanning which both have Q811 (P25 conventional) and soon P25 may be opened up for me to explore as a amateur operator. I have tried my best in due diligence with my research about P25 but im having a hard time understanding it as all of it is new to me and confusing. Here is what I would like to try and receive for the time being. I've read my share of forums and there are many out there, but I do wish to avoid trunking systems and emergency service frequencies as i'm quite satisfied and comfortable with what I have available on analog to listen to. I do have access to the CPS for my radios and would like any information, pointers, advice ect on how to get a foot in the door with P25. To be honest, Im not exactly sure if I can even get P25 to be a receive only personality, but that's why I came here for help.

Thank you to anyone who contributes an input! :)

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Project 25 (P25) is a digital modulation protocol originally developed specifically for public safety by APCO. Other than the fact that P25 uses digital modulation (as opposed to analog modulation), a narrow bandwidth (12.5 kHz), and network access codes (NAC, as opposed to analog CTCSS), P25 channels should not be mysterious and are programmed similarly to analog channels. I am pretty sure that you should be able to program a receive-only personality in your XTS software.

Stripes

Hmm, Im probably just getting jumbled up in the CPS being as convoluted and wonky it is. Thank you for the assistance, essentially all I'm having to do is set the frequencies as normal, and NAC is essentially the "PL" code if im getting what your saying. 1640023411896.png

K2NEC

Correct, and as a general rule of thumb, I set repeaters with P25 on them to Mix Mode on receive just in case someone transmits on analog so I can hear them and not be stepping on them.

Stripes

Okay that is a lot easier than expected. I thought I had to modify the entire Astro System tree in the CPS a certain way. That is what was getting me thinking there was more to it. Thank you everyone!
1640044609527.png

Status
Not open for further replies.