Interested in SDR but very confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

BM82557

1 - if you are going to use the yagi then all you need is this dongle --

Screenshot - 7_22_2020 , 10_37_32.png

2 - as to software DSDPlus Fastlane is what I recommend --

Screenshot - 7_22_2020 , 10_38_12.png

I am not affiliated with either the hardware vendor or the software developer, I am just an user of these products and can recommend both.

Last edited:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber

View attachment 88636

View attachment 88637

I am not affiliated with either the hardware vendor or the software developer, I am just an user of these products and can recommend both.
THANK YOU! VERY affordable and I will be ordering. What does the software do as far as when radio signal goes thru antenna into dongle, then computer? Does it decode the signals in the way the G5's do? So the decodes will be BETTER than an actual radio.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber

View attachment 88636

View attachment 88637

I downloaded the DSD plus program but when I extract and open folder, nothing will work. It says I dont have permission. Do I need the .dll files to download too? I am not sure what I need to download.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I downloaded the DSD plus program but when I extract and open folder, nothing will work. It says I dont have permission. Do I need the .dll files to download too? I am not sure what I need to download.
OK I had everything in wrong folder...all set program is running, just need to get dongle and adapter. OK here are the things I will order....an adapter for antenna and the actual dongle. I have the software and it will open but no way to configure anything. Maybe once software sees my dongle it will do something. I am totally confused as to how to set this all up. I will ask for help when hardware arrives.

Attachments

• ad1.JPG
    ad1.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 8
  • dn1.JPG
    dn1.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I watched a few youtube videos and there are some other things I totally dont get. First, the program "DSD Plus" I downloaded, and also downloaded the .dll file and copied the .dll's into the DSD folder. But what is "Fastlane"? I think I am missing this, whatever it is. Do you have to donate the $10 for a years worth of free updates to get Fastlane? And there are batch files you need to edit in DSD Plus......but the videos I watched assumes you only want to monitor one control channel. The local P25 system in my area has 4 sites with 4 control freqs for each zone. How do you edit the batch file to do more than 1 CC freq? Could be the videos on Youtube are out of date. So I have moved up to the next level of massive confusion. There was one video where the guy showed how to set up "AIRSPY" to use with DSD Plus. Then I had to download & install the "VB Cable" virtual cable. Man there is a TON of set up for this! Seems easier to just listen to scanner! One guy runs 2 dongles....one sits on control channel and the other is for voice channels. Is there any STEP BY STEP easier ways to do all this?

silberj

Java is now self-contained with the software. No need to download it, what kind of errors are you running into?
I just made a new video on setting up a phase 1 system with it and didn't have any issues.
I'm running the latest alpha (video releases Tuesday)

Java Is included in 0.5.0 a2, not in 0.4.0.

slicerwizard

I watched a few youtube videos and there are some other things I totally dont get. First, the program "DSD Plus" I downloaded, and also downloaded the .dll file and copied the .dll's into the DSD folder. But what is "Fastlane"? I think I am missing this, whatever it is. Do you have to donate the $10 for a years worth of free updates to get Fastlane? And there are batch files you need to edit in DSD Plus......but the videos I watched assumes you only want to monitor one control channel. The local P25 system in my area has 4 sites with 4 control freqs for each zone. How do you edit the batch file to do more than 1 CC freq? Could be the videos on Youtube are out of date. So I have moved up to the next level of massive confusion. There was one video where the guy showed how to set up "AIRSPY" to use with DSD Plus. Then I had to download & install the "VB Cable" virtual cable. Man there is a TON of set up for this! Seems easier to just listen to scanner! One guy runs 2 dongles....one sits on control channel and the other is for voice channels. Is there any STEP BY STEP easier ways to do all this?
DSD+ comes with instructions. Stop watching outdated videos...

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
I am in exact same boat. I want to get into SDR but I am too overwhelmed by the information out there. I need solid advice on affordable dongle for monitoring the same system as you. Not interested in HF at the moment. I just want to be able to listen to the P25 system in my area and maybe a motorola system or two.

I bought a Nooelec dongle and finally figured out how to run the Alpha 2 version of SDRtrunk. Works pretty well using the included antenna. Dongle w/ the antenna was $20, very affordable way to monitor 1 system, if you want to monitor more than one system you will need additional dongles.

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
Java is now self-contained with the software. No need to download it, what kind of errors are you running into?
I just made a new video on setting up a phase 1 system with it and didn't have any issues.
I'm running the latest alpha (video releases Tuesday)

Thank you! Your video was very helpful in getting my setup to work as I wanted. While there are some limitations compared to traditional scanner you just can't beat the price.

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
What is the map for and how do you use it on SDRtrunk? That is about the only thing I haven't figured out yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.