Interesting article about how the State setup comms with neighboring states after BP spill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technoguy58

I figure that most folks in the business already have seen this and know most of this but for us hobbyist and techy types, the following article might be interesting as to some of the behind the scenes stuff that played out with comms after the B.P. spill. Yes, I know it is old news but I like reading this kind of stuff nontheless. I didn't realize that one of the states SOW was deployed to Pensacola for a short period of time.

Gulf Coast Agencies Build Network for Oil Spill

Spec605LA

Statewide Radio Jedi
Premium Subscriber
and pafford uses it for there air med ops, i was in jackson ms and heard dispatches from bradley county ark med to little rock to monroe la
its neat and works well
Pafford uses what for their air med ops? Their LWIN TG’s are patched with their respective AWIN and MSWIN TG’s. The GULFWIN (Gulf Coast Interop) channels on LWIN are locked until needed.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
And the entire GulfWIN also is TXWARN linked to MSWIN AWIN LWIN and they want AFRRN and TACN to join also. All linked via ISSI

Spec605LA

Statewide Radio Jedi
Premium Subscriber
And the entire GulfWIN also is TXWARN linked to MSWIN AWIN LWIN and they want AFRRN and TACN to join also. All linked via ISSI
GULFWIN is only for the Gulf Coast States, Louisiana & Texas each have 16 Talk Groups, Mississippi has 5, Alabama & Georgia have 2 and Florida has 8. Only 2 talkgroups are patched across the entire Gulf Coast. The others are patched as needed. All the talk groups are radio ID restricted until full activation is needed. The system is tested monthly during hurricane season.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
AWIN is part of it and has been for a few years now. Look at TXWARN for those ISSI TGs.

n5ims

When it originally went live, ISSI wasn't fully fleshed out so there was also a site at Motorola HQ in Chicago that monitored the system and was able to make changes quickly when problems arose. Louisiana also got permission from the FCC to set some of their mobile sites outside of their normally authorized coverage area to provide communications where none of the existing sites had coverage. I believe one went to Florida, one on an island off the coast in Alabama and another on a barge/ship south of the MS/AL boarder. Others were used near the mouth of the Mississippi River to help extend coverage there.

When the explosion happened, I had just arrived in New Orleans and had not yet programmed my scanner for the area, but using band scanning with wildcards for talkgroups I heard a transmission calling for "as many coast guard and firefighting ships you can get and at least two large helos". From that, I understood it was one of two things, a drill or something big had just happened. Nothing had made any of the news yet so it was hard to tell just what was going on. With just band scanning, it was also hard to keep on the in-use talkgroups, especially since they probably were not always affiliated to the local sites. With the morning news headlines, I understood the seriousness of what I had heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.