Interesting Article Useless Radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I ran across this article which mentions the new Uniden Digital scanners & a general discussion on encryption. Although the subject of encryption has been exhaustively discussed in the RR forums, nobody has delivered such a funny & sarcastic article in quite some time. I've not had much experience in programming systems on the east coast, but I would imagine there is a great deal of encryption being employed. I also liked the statement about encryption taking taking the community away from the police. New scanners introduced by Uniden may be useless in certain areas - Philadelphia In Pictures | Examiner.com

Last edited:

PACNWDude

Interesting article. I for one will just use SDR USB dongles as they seem to work quite well for MotoTrbo and some other types of digital gear in use. My older scanners are just for legacy analog systems these days.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
We debunked that "article" when the author spammed the site with his dribble:

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-thread-archives/278220-article-new-uniden-scanners.html

and more specifically my post in that thread:

O3djn2J.jpg

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
One more post from the linked thread above:

86q6gAW.jpg

In other words this article was (poorly) written by some hack who used
Uniden as a scapegoat to whine about encryption.
I would give it the same credibility as I do an Alex Jones/Infowars article: NONE.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Enlightened Being

Thanks for sharing that information. However, I found some humor in the wording of this article. I attempted to find more information about this site, but could not find much about them. Hence, I did not know if this was from a site making "yellow journalism."

Again, thanks for the heads up.

DPD1

Yes, it seems to be a bit negative. Kind of reminds me of one of those political forums, where many people sound like they need a bit more fiber. I'm pretty sure most serious journalists typically don't use terms like 'brain fart'.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Article Tone

Actually, I don't believe this article was meant to be taken seriously. I believe he took liberty with certain things. It reminded me of Fox News. As I indicated, I found some humor in what he wrote, particularly about the hilarious Bipeds in the Uniden video launch. Yes, they should go to drama school to refine their craft. To each his own. I still enjoyed reading the article. But, I see humor in many things these days.

Life is too short. I am finding more & more in life that some people take things far too seriously.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I used to get into lengthy political debates with a mouthbreathing right-wing clod on another forum who would always post Examiner articles he himself had written as "evidence" of his "rightness".So once I decided to get even and I wrote one of my own saying the exact opposite of what he said and spammed him with it. It shut him up for a couple days and then he was back at it - I finally gave up and left the site. Good times, though.

-AZ

RadioPatriots

Although there are some kernels of truth to the article, it was formerly debunked here in RR, mainly because it was focusing specifically on the new Uniden scanners (as if they're the only ones which will have problems with Public Communications hiding (encryption)), which of course affects all scanners.

mikepdx

One more post from the linked thread above:

86q6gAW.jpg

In other words this article was (poorly) written by some hack who used
Uniden as a scapegoat to whine about encryption.
I would give it the same credibility as I do an Alex Jones/Infowars article: NONE.
Marshall KE4ZNR

If you were a 'legit' news source, I might believe you.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Author's Credentials

I noticed that the author claimed to have around 35 years experience as a photojournalist. I attempted to read about his credentials, but could not find them since I refused to be associated with LinkedIn.

I did see where he attended some community college suggesting he may not have an associates degree.

Many people say similar negative statements about the National Enquirer stating that they don't print facts & they are not a legitimate source of news. This is simplly not true all of the time.

Example: I was once reading a copy of the National Enquirer while in line a grocery store. Actually, this occurred on two separate occasions. The first article talked about a newly-developed test for measuring patient malingered responses within a forensic setting . Hence, I was able to quickly find where to order this instrument. I used it inside prison to measure feigning. http://www4.parinc.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=SIRS-2

The second article I read in line was about measurement of Psychopathy. http://www.statisticssolutions.com/hare-psychopathy-checklist-revised-pcl-r/

So, there are exceptions to the rule on bad journalism. LOL.

Oh, well, I'm ready to put this little dog to rest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.