Interesting audio problem with 436.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vonskie

Premium Subscriber
Just this afternoon I noticed that just before a broadcast occurs and after there is a pop or a click, when using the head phones but not on the speaker of the unit. Its like a pop kind of have not noticed it before. kind of irritating.

Do you have that with your unit?

It does not sound like a mike being keyed but an electrical pop.

During the transmission it sounds clean.

The pop is the same volume regardless of the volume or so it seems.

This only happens with the head phones.

Last edited:

n5ims

Just this afternoon I noticed that just before a broadcast occurs and after there is a pop or a click, when using the head phones but not on the speaker of the unit. Its like a pop kind of have not noticed it before. kind of irritating.

Do you have that with your unit?

It does not sound like a mike being keyed but an electrical pop.

There's a sticky on this issue and how to get your scanner fixed.

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/285533-bcd536hp-headphone-campaign-details.html

Sorry, just noticed your issue was on the 436, not the 536. May be a different issue than.

Last edited:

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-LS720 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I routinely hear it with the headphones off through the speakers. Are you listening to a P25 phase 2?

mancow

Database Admin
DC bias from the audio amp kicking in. They probably power down the amp until it's needed to save battery.

Vonskie

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-LS720 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I routinely hear it with the headphones off through the speakers. Are you listening to a P25 phase 2?

yes

SCPD

QRT
pop

DC bias from the audio amp kicking in. They probably power down the amp until it's needed to save battery.

Thats not what it is,the 536Hp does the same exact thing,crackles and pops for no reason at all.
I noticed if you are on a phase 2 it is decoding or you are listening to it,then you hit a button the
scanner goes POP! then when you go out of the menu sometimes,it starts decoding ,it will pop
or crackle.Theres definatley an issue with these.I havent seen it on Phase one p25 as much but
when the radio is doing phase two you can hear it.Try it put it on a phase two channel and when
its talking push the channel button and go into the meu and back out.You'll see.

Try turning AGC on only on p25 systems,I think that may have helped,I think the issue is audio is too loud for it,the audio
IC breaks down and crackles and pops.I'll let ya know if this comes back.

Last edited:

Dewey

I'm with you there. 99% of my monitoring is P25 Phase II-TDMA since it is my home county (Prince George's County Trunking System, Various, Maryland - Scanner Frequencies). I have considered it "different", but never considered it an actual problem.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I almost exclusively monitor P25 on this radio (why listen to analog stuff when I have a whole mess of other scanners that can do that? ;)) When using headphones I hear a tiny, barely noticeable "click" when the scanner starts decoding and another one when it stops. No big deal to me whatsoever. Try listening to a BC796D with headphones sometime. On that unit, you will actually HEAR the P25 data in the background during transmissions: "RrrrrRRrrrRrrrrRRrrrDR-DR-DR-RRRRRRR" Boy, talk about something that gets annoying real fast... This scanner is SO much better to listen to.

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.