Interesting Conventional Traffic was given a new channel (3) and then silent. Hidden Conv? Mohave County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevabeva

I was listening to a very interesting call tonight and they were eventually dedicated a channel I've never heard them use before. It wasn't the tac channels like they usually do. But just #3. As far as I know everything is conventional frequencies with ctcss out here (At least that has always been true before this new or maybe extremely unused channel) Any ideas? I'm not very familiar with conventional stuff so I'm not sure how they would hide a conv channel? Radio reference has been complete and accurate, minus this new channel 3

I'm using a bct15x in Mohave County

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
What type of indent was it? Do you have all of the frequencies listed in the DB for Mohave County in your scanner, not just the ones tagged as used by the SO? Often times departments will use a channel like interagency or even animal control as a talk or tac channel. Were they working with any other police or fire depts? Could have been one of the other agencies channels. What about the VTAC channels, free for any agency to use and being as they aren't assigned to any one agency they wouldn't show up on a FCC database search.

lrh270

Telling what agency it was, where it was, and what it was would help. If it was MCSO, Channel 3 is the repeater on Goat Mountain north of Lake havasu City, I believe.

Sevabeva

It was bullhead pd and it started out as a stabbing which quickly became a homicide. At about +10 mins i think the detectives arrived and then the dispatcher told them all to switch to channel 3 and that was the last i heard anyone on scene.
I have all of the channels except for 2x mdt and the fire/ems.

Ive never heard of VTAC before. Where i scanned before they used their trunked channels for everything.
Do they commonly use those out here ?

Sevabeva

I have the 1st one but i dont have the second one. I dont see the 2nd one listed anywhere?

KB7MIB

The first one is the repeater output. 155.0100
The second one is the repeater input. 158.7750

The input frequencies don't show in the RRDB unless you check the box that asks if you want the input frequencies to show. The box is just above the listings.

John
Peoria

Sevabeva

Makes sense
So yes i have tac 3 and also had it search for other tones but it definitely wasn't the 3 that they switched to. They call this tac. They just said channel 3 same as dispatch channel 1 and 2 which are listed on here. Like a hidden 3rd channel?

Last edited:

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Makes sense
So yes i have tac 3 and also had it search for other tones but it definitely wasn't the 3 that they switched to. They call this tac. They just said channel 3 same as dispatch channel 1 and 2 which are listed on here. Like a hidden 3rd channel?

I would program every frequency they are licened to in your scan list. Make sure every frequency is in PL/DPL search mode and wait to hear the "Switch to channel 3" again.

They are likely transmitting on a frequency they are licensed to, but sometimes agencies illegally use unlicensed frequencies which will be a little harder to discover.

Let us know what you find!

Last edited:

Paysonscanner

See attached. Might, or not, help.

I took a look at this map and I'm confused. Are the numbers the locations of base stations and repeaters? That doesn't make sense as nothing is shown on Hualapai and it is the major site in Mohave Co. It shows #12 as "SAR Car to Car" with no number 12 on the map so is this a channel listing? I downloaded cause I am starting to collect data for Arizona after moving back here last fall.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I took a look at this map and I'm confused. Are the numbers the locations of base stations and repeaters? That doesn't make sense as nothing is shown on Hualapai and it is the major site in Mohave Co. It shows #12 as "SAR Car to Car" with no number 12 on the map so is this a channel listing? I downloaded cause I am starting to collect data for Arizona after moving back here last fall.

The dots with numbers are likely where the repeaters are located. This is purely speculation on my part, but it is how I interpret the map.

Channel 12 is probably a simplex channel.

Paysonscanner

The dots with numbers are likely where the repeaters are located. This is purely speculation on my part, but it is how I interpret the map.

Channel 12 is probably a simplex channel.

As I said the map doesn't show show anything on Hualapai Mountain, which is the most important electronic site in NW Arizona. It is the hub for the Mohave County's radio system. Right off hand I think there are a few more Mohave County repeaters not shown on the map. As Channel 12 is listed as "car to car" it is likely to be simplex. Back to Hualapai Mtn., they show 3 dots/numbers in Kingman but not on the mountain? This is not a repeater map, you don't put a repeater, or in this case 3 of them, in Kingman if wide coverage is needed.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
As I said the map doesn't show show anything on Hualapai Mountain, which is the most important electronic site in NW Arizona. It is the hub for the Mohave County's radio system. Right off hand I think there are a few more Mohave County repeaters not shown on the map. As Channel 12 is listed as "car to car" it is likely to be simplex. Back to Hualapai Mtn., they show 3 dots/numbers in Kingman but not on the mountain? This is not a repeater map, you don't put a repeater, or in this case 3 of them, in Kingman if wide coverage is needed.
Look closer at the map. Channels 1, 11, and 14 are located at Hualapai.

Paysonscanner

Look closer at the map. Channels 1, 11, and 14 are located at Hualapai.

Oh good heavens! You are right and I could have sworn those three were shown right in Kingman. My family has been raising some concerns about me being stretched to far. I need to go out and talk with them. I usually don't miss stuff like that, so they might be right.

I'm glad that is figured out, I will now print it for the Arizona book!

Status
Not open for further replies.