Interesting day on interstate

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOK5CY

Was able to listen to ocean unit running clocked times for speeders for ground units but couldn't hear them at all . Last i heard 1 clocked at 97mph . So not sure where this was on the turnpike . So apparently both towers ( Miami & Jay ) are working . Ocean unit was using talk group 44688 .

xerb1962

Premium Subscriber
I hear Ocean units on OHP direct 855.9875 all the time here on I-35 in Guthrie, 104 MPH just a few days ago!

N5TWB

According to the OHP press conference on budget austerity measures, you guys may have heard some increasingly rare radio traffic from aircraft operations. Plus the acquisition and deployment of new radio equipment is coming to a halt, too. Of course, the Legislature may step in with some interim funding.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Of course, the Legislature may step in with some interim funding.

Ahahahahahaha. No one there bright enough to understand the problem.

I've heard these ops recently, too. It's amazing the speeds and they usually get them for "following too close" as well.

N5TWB

Indeed, 100 miles per day maximum on each troopers car is absurd....

The interesting thing is they used that 100-mile figure in previous rounds of this. I recall it back in the 70s when the gas-price jumped quickly. Of course, back then, the 440-cu.in Hemi in the Plymouth maybe got 10mpg and today's fuel-injected cars are much better on the gas. The other large cost includes those speed-rated tires, too.

roxcomrox

OHP Distance Restrictions

Spoke to a Trooper from the YB troop and they said since they are regulated and paid by OKDOT and Turnpike units are not subject to this cut-back. The Trooper did express that will hurt them by limiting other Troopers from assisting with traffic control on the Turnpike gates.

roxcomrox

The 100 mile limit was about the only thing lifted. OTA has funded the upcoming academy with 30 cadets when they need 90. Spending on telecommunications has not been part of the re-instatement as from the negotiations on the budget and Troopers limits of distance was adversely effecting their training significantly. The Dive team is still only responding to State Parks or at the request of OSBI.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
The 100 mile limit was about the only thing lifted. OTA has funded the upcoming academy with 30 cadets when they need 90. Spending on telecommunications has not been part of the re-instatement as from the negotiations on the budget and Troopers limits of distance was adversely effecting their training significantly. The Dive team is still only responding to State Parks or at the request of OSBI.

I misread this at first. They are taking money from OTA to fund a reduced class of trooper candidates because DPS can't afford to fund any. I thought you meant that OTA didn't have the money to fund all 90 slots.

OTA's budget should be entirely separate from the state as they have their own revenue stream (most of which goes to pay off bond holders but some of which also funds operations including police service). If *they* can't afford to pay for services any more, that's an even bigger problem (even though they are separate, you can be sure the taxpayer would be left holding the bond bag if the OTA defaulted). But that's not what you're saying.

That's the whole point of a Turnpike AUTHORITY - their funds are separate from the state.

Of course, most of our legislators couldn't pass a 5th grade civics test ... probably why they are coercing the OTA to fund an academy - OTA should only be paying for the service they receive from DPS.

N5TWB

Of course, most of our legislators couldn't pass a 5th grade civics test ... probably why they are coercing the OTA to fund an academy - OTA should only be paying for the service they receive from DPS.

And that was the point - they were going to lose coverage on the turnpikes if there weren't any new troopers to backfill the general OHP cadre for those dedicated to OTA by contract. IOW, self-interest was their reason for spending the money to fund an academy class. A starting class of 30 will likely commission 15-20 new troopers. A mere trickle against the flood of impending retirements.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
And that was the point - they were going to lose coverage on the turnpikes if there weren't any new troopers to backfill the general OHP cadre for those dedicated to OTA by contract. IOW, self-interest was their reason for spending the money to fund an academy class. A starting class of 30 will likely commission 15-20 new troopers. A mere trickle against the flood of impending retirements.

Understood - OTA didn't have much choice. What's with the retirements? Just demographics ... or troopers going out of state?

N5TWB

Understood - OTA didn't have much choice. What's with the retirements? Just demographics ... or troopers going out of state?

Demographics are marching on for the OHP as much as it is for lots of other employers. I believe a recent article quoted a figure well in excess of 100 troopers could be out the door in the next few years. A significant portion of that number could be gone at any day of their choosing right now.

KD5WLX

A lot of it would be normal attrition. They're only required to work 20 years for "full" retirement benefits (although their retirement pay goes up if they choose to stay longer). Management (Captains, etc.) isn't the one working wrecks and writing speeding tickets, turnpike or otherwise and they're the ones that would be more inclined to stay on. At 45 or 50, most that are still "working the beat" are also about ready to hang it up. Police work, military, firefighting - all jobs that are a young man's game. There may be 60 year old generals and chiefs but I don't WANT there to be 60 year firefighters crawling around in houses dragging hoses. And while there's no reason a 60 year old can't drive a patrol and write a ticket, how many are in shape to wrestle over a gun with a belligerent perp. And they never know if the next stop won't be "that one".

Status
Not open for further replies.