Interesting DC frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torsionbar

Hello all, I'm a newbie and this is my first post. I have an Icom R5 that I've had in my closet but never really used. Just recently started to get interested in scanning and wonder if anyone can point me to any interesting frequencies in DC? I live in Arlington, VA. but I'm less than 1 mile from DC. Just my own casual internet browsing has led me to believe that most traffic in this area is now digital, and that I'll need to upgrade to newer hardware (I'm looking at the BCD396xt). In the mean time, just wondering what kinds of interesting analog frequencies you folks have come across?

Also, any ideas or suggestions on antennas for apartment living, where an outdoor antenna is not an option?

Thanks all

arvellabill

Just about everything in the DC area is digital: saying that I'll give what know off the top of my head. The most active is 166.925 which is the U.S. Park Police. 155.130 is Hyattsville City Pd. The last time I was in the area about a month ago Pr. George Co Md was still on their old freq's 494.3125 [dst hght]
494.5375 [bowie] 494.6625 [brangywine] 494.6875 [hyattsville] 494.0875 [oxon hill] 495.1375 suitland] 494.8375 Fire disp. 155.580 Pg Sheriff. there are more but I can't remember them.

SkyPager

There are many VHF and UHF analog freqs still in use. I have about 40 of them in one scan list in my PSR-500. I got all of them from the 2009 Inauguration thread. See the wiki for more. I have discovered that the Fed freqs everyone wants to hear, FBI, DEA are generally quiet. USPP, Capitol Police and some group that calls to "Side Door" are the most active. I think SIde Door has something to do with Diplomatic or Congressional security. Daytime monitoring is best. Be patient. I caught Bureau of Engraving and Printing Police yesterday on 407.025, might have been 407.825, it scanned away just as I picked up the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.