Interesting discovery tonight,

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcg729

just purchased a new "smart" phone, (way smarter then me), I was browsing the apps and noticed one called "scanner buddy" this free application gives you public service transmissions in real time no matter where you may be, I have been listening to my local Police, Sheriff and Fire, even though they are on different frequencies and one is even in the 800's, this is on a normal unaltered cell phone, no air time is used and no limit on time , the phone continues to receive any calls in the mean time.
I have to suppose that the Police would know of this application but it seems the possibility of abuse and criminal activity is rampant.
Am I the last to know of this?

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you are apparently the last to know of this.

Check the streaming forums. There's a few apps out there for both BlackBerry (BBScanner) and iPhone (Numerous scanner apps)

Streams are provided from various RR members.

just purchased a new "smart" phone, (way smarter then me), I was browsing the apps and noticed one called "scanner buddy" this free application gives you public service transmissions in real time no matter where you may be, I have been listening to my local Police, Sheriff and Fire, even though they are on different frequencies and one is even in the 800's, this is on a normal unaltered cell phone, no air time is used and no limit on time , the phone continues to receive any calls in the mean time.
I have to suppose that the Police would know of this application but it seems the possibility of abuse and criminal activity is rampant.
Am I the last to know of this?

dcg729

Well it appears that everyone now knows

mine is an android htc hero, which is not apple or blackberry, so this is everywhere but in my life until tonight, thanks for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.