Interesting Fed. freq. catch in Houston.

kc5voa

Monitoring Bush (IAH) Airport. I record traffic on my 436hp on the military's Intra squad radio (ISR) Ch:8 T: 103.5 (397.95 mhz).
Mostly shipping talk. Mostly cities and the word "containers" are mentioned a lot. I'm guessing, but I think they're code words for flying migrants around the country.
The conversations have no military discipline or lingo. I thought these radios were strictly used for active military in the field. Hmmm. It's only on this ISR channel and there's voice traffic everyday.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I thought these radios were strictly used for active military in the field. Hmmm. It's only on this ISR channel and there's voice traffic everyday.

These are common radio frequencies for many, even the Civil Air Patrol in WI has been reported using them. They are not limited to in the field.

ecps92

Containers - sounds like Maritime, any USN or USNS vessels in port ?
Monitoring Bush (IAH) Airport. I record traffic on my 436hp on the military's Intra squad radio (ISR) Ch:8 T: 103.5 (397.95 mhz).
Mostly shipping talk. Mostly cities and the word "containers" are mentioned a lot. I'm guessing, but I think they're code words for flying migrants around the country.
The conversations have no military discipline or lingo. I thought these radios were strictly used for active military in the field. Hmmm. It's only on this ISR channel and there's voice traffic everyday.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator

Why would you think they are “code words for flying migrants around the country”? Being at IAH I’d suspect cargo movement.

Are you sure it isn’t an image?

KevinC

Super Moderator
Thanks - just a tourist :)

Also for the OP, having a PL is odd, since most of those were CSQ aka No PL

So it may not be an ISR - more local user, image or even a bootlegger :)

My wife had a cousin from NYC that had a layover in Dallas for a couple of hours. She wanted my wife to drive up and visit. I like people from the cute little NE states.

KevinC

Super Moderator
See if you hear the same thing on 464.525. I see United supposedly uses that at IAH with a PL of 103.5.

Wilrobnson

Moderately Active Member
I had those ISR freqs in various radios for the past 10-15 years or so and have literally only heard them used once, by CAP kiddos directing traffic at an air show. I ended up taking them out due to intermod/images in various cities/states.

KevinC

Super Moderator
I injected a low level signal of 464.525 into my 436. It received the signal at 397.95 as well as 464.525. So I’m quite sure 464.525 is what you are actually hearing.

ecps92

correct me if I am wrong, but they also were CSQ and had no PL/DPL capabilities, right ?
I had those ISR freqs in various radios for the past 10-15 years or so and have literally only heard them used once, by CAP kiddos directing traffic at an air show. I ended up taking them out due to intermod/images in various cities/states.

ecps92

Altho those freq's have been repurposed, the ISR was CSQ and based on others providing their observations, going with the IMAGE from 46x band

Team work - again from RR members
That's what I'd had them as originally, but the last 8 years or so I was running them in search mode in case of tones.

KevinC

Super Moderator
Altho those freq's have been repurposed, the ISR was CSQ and based on others providing their observations, going with the IMAGE from 46x band

Team work - again from RR members

Wait…you can’t agree with me. I’m a big bad moderator. You’re supposed to disagree with everything I post, even if it’s 100% correct.

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
Anyone know what the first IF is on the 436HP? (464.525 - 397.95) / 2 = 33.2875, which seems unlikely. I'm curious as to the freqs involved.