Interesting & Informative Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManFish

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I had no idea that amatuer radio operators were this involved in ancillary communications systems for emergency & disaster response & assistance. When I become a certified law enforcement officer I think I will take the test to become an amatuer radio operator. keep up the good work.

Manny

HDSCS -- Hospital Disaster Support Communications System

Last edited:

reedeb

Sounds like a specialized group with ARES. In my home state [Maine] York County EMA worked out an agreement with the hospitals in the county and set up duel band antenna on ALL the hospitals for Amatuer radio use [We used it for Y2K with excellent results] The EMA administrator did some real good talking with them and it is in the plan now any time they need operators RACES will be there.

This is something that should be in every medical center as a backup communication plan.[in MY humble opinion]

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
This subject was a bone of contention in the Amateur community when the idea was introduced being in most instances such operation is clearly in violation of the FCC Rules and Regulations. The EMCOM whackers have a nasty habit of ruffling feathers and this is a classic example, providing communications and/or communicating on behalf of an employer clearly violates the rule against operating for pecuniary interests.

All that aside, the worst possible reason to get a ham license is for jumping on the EMCOM bandwagon, emergency and health and welfare traffic is but a very small part of the hobby and service. It's putting the cart before the horse and worse, EMCOM is but a handcart hitched on behind the cart. When you have a 1hp motor hooked up backward you're in trouble, look at the bigger picture and the rest will follow as it should.

I know plenty of LEOs who are also hams and several cases where Amateur Radio facilities are colocated with emergency comm centers but they have their priorities straight. Perhaps a little discussion with the OEM will give you the proper perspective on how Amateurs fit in and how things are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.