Interesting PRO-96 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

danesgs

I have both a PRO-2096 and the handheld PRO-96 I recently bought off the used list at Universal Radio. The 2096 can receive Loudoun County signals that are P25 phase 1 for LCSO and LCFR (sheriff and fire depts). I uploaded these frequencies into the PRO-96 from the 2096 download and still hear nothing even as the 2096 is talking away. Not sure why this would be. Again the 2096 is hearing phase 1 P25 but the PRO-96 is deaf to these but everything else works just fine.

Ubbe

Program the frequencies in another bank as analog conventional and open the squelch and listen if you can hear the data. Do this when the 2096 are talking away and tune the 96 to the same frequency or the same sites control channel.

If a scanner do not receive the data signal then it cannot work at all. But if you hear that data signalling then it must be some sort of problem with the programming.

/Ubbe

danesgs

I can hear the data coming from the control channels, so you are right, it must have lost something in translation from the 2096 to the PRO-96. I am using Win96 to program both and its a registered copy so not sure what to be looking for.

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
I have both a PRO-2096 and the handheld PRO-96 I recently bought off the used list at Universal Radio. The 2096 can receive Loudoun County signals that are P25 phase 1 for LCSO and LCFR (sheriff and fire depts). I uploaded these frequencies into the PRO-96 from the 2096 download and still hear nothing even as the 2096 is talking away. Not sure why this would be. Again the 2096 is hearing phase 1 P25 but the PRO-96 is deaf to these but everything else works just fine.
Is this Loudoun County VA? If so they are on 8-- Mhz. The PRO 96 is very prone to going out of tune. VR4 must be retuned to receive those freqs.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Is the procedure somewhere here on RR?

Some info here:

and here:

danesgs

Thanks, only problem is I don't have a signal gen, just a digital and analog volt meter. Is there a voltage difference when you make the adjustment to VR2, 3 and 4 I could go by instead?

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, only problem is I don't have a signal gen, just a digital and analog volt meter. Is there a voltage difference when you make the adjustment to VR2, 3 and 4 I could go by instead?
If you are close to a site, in manual, go to the control freq and read the %. watching the screen with a mirror, tune VR 4 to the highest %. That is how I have done it on many PRO 96s.

danesgs

If you are close to a site, in manual, go to the control freq and read the %. watching the screen with a mirror, tune VR 4 to the highest %. That is how I have done it on many PRO 96s.
That sounds right to me, thanks a bunch!

Status
Not open for further replies.