Interesting satcom nostalga article in MT magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4UVV

FYI the December, 2011 issue of Monitoring Times magazine has a very interesting 4 page feature article (pages 8 through 11) titled "GORIZONT Remembered....A nostalgic look back at exciting times times monitoring satellite TV signals in the US and the Atlantic Ocean Region". The main part of the article discusses various aspects regarding analog satellite tv programing I received from the C Band Russian Gorizont (Horizon) geostationary satellite located at 14 degrees West Longitude during the early to mid-80s at my central Va. location. The Russian Intervision Network (IVN) news and programing uplinks from IVN communist affiliated/leaning countries (i.e. Cuba, East Germany, Algeria, Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania, Nicaragua, Vietnam, etc.) provided some very interesting viewing over a 5 year period, especially the entertainment programing from East Berlin. Germany. Other subjects briefly discussed include the US/Russian hot line link overview history and my monitoring experiences of FM SCPC, SSB and FDM signals from selected US satellites.

Over 50 35mm color live screen capture pictures from a SECAM monitor I took in 1984 were published with the article. Internet subscribers will see all pictures in color. The hard copy publication has the 60 ft. diameter antenna at Gorizont Ulan Bator, Mongolia site and selected pictures from Yugoslavia, Moscow, Cuba and Vietnam in color on the cover. Internal article pictures are B/W. However, if anyone wishes to view all of the 50+ jpgs in color for personal use only (a 2 part email attachment send) he/she can email me at < w4uvv@amsat.org > and request them.

Those of you like me in the late 70s and early 80s who were attempting to build their own private TVRO system will find this an interesting look back at some fun and exciting times long gone.

John
W4UVV

Status
Not open for further replies.