Interesting scanner pick up this mornig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

daneg

Around three this morning I had my scanner on and let it search around for anything interesting. I was able to get ALOT of the NOAA Weather Radio. WXL39 Allentown was crystal clear (never got it before). WNG704 Hibernia Park Chester County, somewhat clear. I was also picking up another from MD I'd get it then it goto static i forget where it was located. on 55.550 there was some odd lady talking, sounded like she went to english then something else then she stopped and music that wasn't english played.

then 155.245 I heard people talking about a traffic complaint in the area of I 83 going towards RT 30. Both ways were crystal clear and i've never heard any action from that channel before.

Did the storms that moved through earlier make the sky better to get this stuff further away?

Twister_2

Feed Provider
Well...Most of those frequencies you are talking about are VHF.Those really depend on the weather. The frontal system that came through may have done something like that...it is not unlikely. It does happen often. I don't know about the 55.550, that was most likely skip. I did a google on it, and they are all different countries'. So, that is skip.

daneg

Well...Most of those frequencies you are talking about are VHF.Those really depend on the weather. The frontal system that came through may have done something like that...it is not unlikely. It does happen often. I don't know about the 55.550, that was most likely skip. I did a google on it, and they are all different countries'. So, that is skip.

Thats what I figured about the weather messing with it. The 55.550 I just couldn't figure out, thanks for the info about it!

Twister_2

Feed Provider
I was on the intenet looking for new scnaners for me in Dauphin county because I will need a digital. Now I am kicking myself because I saw that the 50mhz band is used for the tv. I should have remembered that. It might have been regular tv transmissions or it might skip from another country. I listen to the scanner at night while I'm in bed and sometimes on 460.075 which is our police, I hear tv transmissions that are not on the correct frequency. It kind of sounds like they are bleeding over. That is strange.

daneg

I was on the intenet looking for new scnaners for me in Dauphin county because I will need a digital. Now I am kicking myself because I saw that the 50mhz band is used for the tv. I should have remembered that. It might have been regular tv transmissions or it might skip from another country. I listen to the scanner at night while I'm in bed and sometimes on 460.075 which is our police, I hear tv transmissions that are not on the correct frequency. It kind of sounds like they are bleeding over. That is strange.

Oh, i didnt know that. I will remember that for next time!

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Daneg, what you are hearing in the early mornings is a common occurence. It could have very well been the rain last night caused moisture to form in the lower atmosphere in the way of fog, low clouds, or mist. Add almost no wind, and you have what you call tropospheric ducting. Mostly happens in the evening (after sundown) and mid-morning hours (5-9am). More common in the warmer months due to less wind. Tropospheric ducting (aka "tropo") is almost sure to be going on if you see fog outside. Lancaster county is a good area to be if you are monitoring for tropo. At the Lancaster/Lebanon line in the mornings I get Baltimore County, MD TRS, Philadelphia Fire TRS, Camden County, NJ EMS, York Co, Gloucester County, NJ VHF dispatch among other things. You can even do this with a radio or TV. In the Lancaster area on TV it is not uncommon to pick up stations from DC, Baltimore and Philadelphia simultaneously. On the FM dial you will RX stations from DC/Baltimore and Philly simultaneously and strongly, but amazingly they won't bleed into each other.

daneg

Daneg, what you are hearing in the early mornings is a common occurence. It could have very well been the rain last night caused moisture to form in the lower atmosphere in the way of fog, low clouds, or mist. Add almost no wind, and you have what you call tropospheric ducting. Mostly happens in the evening (after sundown) and mid-morning hours (5-9am). More common in the warmer months due to less wind. Tropospheric ducting (aka "tropo") is almost sure to be going on if you see fog outside. Lancaster county is a good area to be if you are monitoring for tropo. At the Lancaster/Lebanon line in the mornings I get Baltimore County, MD TRS, Philadelphia Fire TRS, Camden County, NJ EMS, York Co, Gloucester County, NJ VHF dispatch among other things. You can even do this with a radio or TV. In the Lancaster area on TV it is not uncommon to pick up stations from DC, Baltimore and Philadelphia simultaneously. On the FM dial you will RX stations from DC/Baltimore and Philly simultaneously and strongly, but amazingly they won't bleed into each other.

Cool thank you for the info! That is pretty cool how that happens! I'll have to keep checking for this. I know a few years ago over near the Chester County/Lancaster County line a few people picked up LA County fire or whatnot I was told. I dont know if i believe that or what.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
I guess its possible. But I'd have to think not likely unless the LA county fire frequency was on low band. True in late spring and early fall I have picked up FM radio from Louisiana and Orlando, FL. I think that was sun spots because it was on a clear day around midday.

NodrogCop

I remember dispatching at Derry Twp PD a few years back. We had 33.80 (county fire disp) and 33.96 (Hershey/co 48 fireground) in our console to listen to. On really good days, we use to get a county fire dispatch from Alabama. We called back on 96 one morning and got a reply! We ended up tracking it down and communicating for a while, but I can't remember where it was now.

But it was a riot and real learning experience!

Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.