Interesting Skip

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOK5CY

About 1:30pm sunday i was sitting in my easy chair with my Pro-135 on the table and out of the blue i hear what appear's to be a dispatcher sending a tone out on 155.235 and then she stated that she was switching to fire side . Then all of the sudden 154.400 freq which is WCEOC in Bartlesville came alive and i hear her and a fire fighter talking back and forth . He was responding to a call on HWY 71 south of Winslow so i jumped online and figured out where it was it's south of fayetville,Ar . Now i've heard skip on a base unit with a good antenna at about 20ft up but never heard skip on a hand held like the 1 i have .

It must have been good condition's because the sun was shining all afternoon and that's around a 180 mile trip .

22A 157.100 157.100 Coast Guard Liaison and Maritime Safety Information Broadcasts. <

Where ever this was coming from it was very loud and clear and giving river readings along the redriver

SCPD

QRT
Oh yes, Skip has been interesting the past couple of nights. WCEOC has been active, WCFD, WCSO, even Bartlesville PD has had some skip traffic rolling in.
very nice stuff, now if only the HF band would roll in this well.......

peterjmag

This is the reason why I own scanners that have tones available on them so i can enable them and not hear this 'skip' It can be very interesting but yet very annoying when skip is interfering with local comms.

xerb1962

Premium Subscriber
This is the reason why I own scanners that have tones available on them so i can enable them and not hear this 'skip' It can be very interesting but yet very annoying when skip is interfering with local comms.

Man I am with you on this one! It used to be fun tracking down the location of the "skip", now it is just a nuisance!

If you are into "skip" try the "lowfers" :D

Altair's YWK Lowfer Page

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
I used to love skip, not just in scanning but in AM Radio. I grew up in Ohio and would get up @ 3 am to deliver the morning paper and then tune into AM 1510 and listen to Spider Harrison who was a cutting edge DJ at the time. Each year we drove home to OK. for Thanksgiving and Dad had the Stations all mapped out as we would leave about 5 am. We started with WLW out of Cinn. and then to WGN in Chicago until the morning hour came when the stations would cut their output back. I really was floored when I started traveling out west and could tune in KVOO am in Las Vegas and have it sound like it was right their in town. I know they were famous for their western state following with even some reports of listeners in Hawaii! On a good winter night you can still get a good WGN signal here in town. Nowadays with FM and CD's and now iPod's and other media to listen to in the car AM is the last thing anyone will try to tune in......

xerb1962

Premium Subscriber
It has been a few years since I have done some AM DX, I know where you are coming from man!

Back in the seventies WLS was the AM powerhouse that could be heard here in Oklahoma "five by five" ;)

WSM out of Nashville was a big dog player too!

KVOO and KOMA were the only two 50K watt big dogs from Oklahoma back then..

I don't even have an AM reciever here in my shack now...:(

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
Back in the seventies WLS was the AM powerhouse that could be heard here in Oklahoma "five by five" ;)
(

Now that you mention it, WLS was the other station my Dad would have set-up out of Chicago not WGN.

Those were the good ol days when everytime you passed a high line wire or went under an overpass the signal went away! lol

In the early 80's I did some electrical work out at KVOO's 11th street tower site, they had just installed new transmitters that were 1/3rd the size of the originals, were in this big building and its just got a little unit sitting in the middle of it. Still out there as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.