Interesting what the State is Missing...

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
In the listing for the annual accounting for missing/lost/stolen property of the State Agencies, and Universities... Indiana Department of Homeland Security is missing around 10 Uniden HP-1 digital scanners. Along with a buttload of HF radios, multiband ham gear, and other stuff. Listed for other departments include several XTS2500's, and a couple of APX4000's. (Also a big chunk of the stuff that used to be Larue Carter...)

west-pac

A lot of EOC's got a bunch of ham gear (HF radio, 2/440 radio, 220 radio, HF packet, 2/440 packet, 220 packet, plus all of the appropriate antennas) from the state ~10+ years ago. I wonder if that was state equipment issued to the county EOC's, and the counties ended up disposing of it because they never used it.

INDY72

A lot of EOC's got a bunch of ham gear (HF radio, 2/440 radio, 220 radio, HF packet, 2/440 packet, 220 packet, plus all of the appropriate antennas) from the state ~10+ years ago. I wonder if that was state equipment issued to the county EOC's, and the counties ended up disposing of it because they never used it.
Possibly, as this list includes regular HF radios, HF data digital radios, Multiband HF/2M/70CM etc, several iCom's, and Kenwoods. INDOT lost some unnamed 800 MHz radios, and an APX4000, etc.. ISP and INDOC lost APX's, XTS's, firearms, and body armor... But its the Uniden HP-1's that caught my eye. (State that has issues with folks with scanners has a supply of them, enough so that there are a large number missing/stolen.) Side note, must have been Pre SDS series, as those HP-1's SUCKKKK on simulcast!

Last edited by a moderator:

west-pac

Yea, I was wondering who in the state govt would want or need a scanner as part of their official duties, where a radio would not be warranted. Gosh, I'm trying to remember if maybe a scanner was part of that EOC equipment. The group I was affiliated with didn't ask for the totally allotment of equipment that was being offered since we already had some. I wouldn't be surprised if it was part of that. Hams don't need a public safety radio, but they could use a scanner. An HP-1 would've been easier for hams to program; and I'd have to check the dates but I'm guessing the HP-1 was new 10-15 years ago.

INDY72

Yea, I was wondering who in the state govt would want or need a scanner as part of their official duties, where a radio would not be warranted. Gosh, I'm trying to remember if maybe a scanner was part of that EOC equipment. The group I was affiliated with didn't ask for the totally allotment of equipment that was being offered since we already had some. I wouldn't be surprised if it was part of that. Hams don't need a public safety radio, but they could use a scanner. An HP-1 would've been easier for hams to program; and I'd have to check the dates but I'm guessing the HP-1 was new 10-15 years ago.
Yes, around the same ages as the BCD436/536HP's.... As for IDHS, I could see them using them to monitor IL, OH, MI, KY, and the VHF/UHF local stuff. The local stuff on SAFE-T they wouldn't need since IPSC is the ones that does the codeplugs for pretty much everyone, as well as for Lake Co, the MESA family etc...

bdub5

That one guy...
These were no longer state assets once given to the county. The missing ham gear is a result of theft by a single individual which is no longer employed by IDHS.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Six SCS Dragon Pactor modems. Looks like someone was planning to deploy several Winlink RMS gateways.

As a taxpayer, it's a little depressing to see the number of items lost due to theft. Among them are a Glock 17, a Ford F350, and a bazillion laptop computers.

INDY72

Six SCS Dragon Pactor modems. Looks like someone was planning to deploy several Winlink RMS gateways.

As a taxpayer, it's a little depressing to see the number of items lost due to theft. Among them are a Glock 17, a Ford F350, and a bazillion laptop computers.

A couple of 4X4 gators, trailers, half of the medical supplies from Larue Carter, some VERY EXPENSIVE survey and landscaping tools... I almost expected an SOW to be listed with the cost of it all over 3M.

Last edited by a moderator: