Interests in monitoring Aircraft / medevac helicopters etc.

Sydney472

I posted the below in another thread and didn't get any responses. I'm not sure if its the subject of aircraft (medical helicopters) that's not the hottest thing to monitor or what, but if there are any other enthusiasts out there with anything of value, I would much appreciate it.

I have enjoyed scanners, two-way radios for over 40 years dating back to my first scanner a Sears/Regency 4 crystal portable scanner. I've dabbled with a bit of programming the older digital scanners, trunking groups/ID's etc. With that, I'm aware that scanning LE,Fire is almost non-existent these days with the digital/encryption. I'm in the Cherokee county (north GA) and wanted to get back into scanning something worthy or interesting these days and explore the hobby again. So, I wanted to reach out to the community and see if any advice or recommendations could be sent my way. With that, I think I wanted to explore and ask if I could monitor some Air traffic with an emphasis on MedeVac air transport helicopters. Is that still an option? I do have a strong interest in the Air Medical transport since I formerly worked in that industry. Is there anything around the North Metro Atlanta, Northwest GA that can be enjoyed. If so, can someone recommend a radio that would suffice for this? Thanks for any advice, I do miss the hobby and have "kind of" paid attention to the ever changing dynamic environment of how the radios are getting better and better but the limitations are getting more and more.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I posted the below in another thread and didn't get any responses. I'm not sure if its the subject of aircraft (medical helicopters) that's not the hottest thing to monitor or what, but if there are any other enthusiasts out there with anything of value, I would much appreciate it.

Not sure what you are looking for, others to listen with you or freqs? Lots of people include them in the scan lists, there are RR wiki pages dedicated to it as well. As for freqs, check the database. there is an entry for them. If I missed the point of your post, I'm sorry. Not trying to be sarcastic just not sure what you are looking for, which might be why you didn't get any responses before.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
There is nothing unique about Medevac helicopters as far as the airband is concerned. They use the same ATC frequencies as everybody else, of course when they are talking to ATC. Most also have other frequencie that they use to communicate with dispatch/hospitals and the like, as listed above.

RichM

The Aero Med helos I listen to all use phase 1 TG’s to communicate with fire/ems on the ground and the hospitals they are transporting to. ATC tower comms are analog but I’m too far away from the field to hear those. I’m in Northern MI, ymmv. Civilian and Military air is all analog, plenty to hear there, an outdoor antenna is very helpful for those. Also ADSB is an interesting way to visually track the aircraft you’re hearing.

Based on the link RaleighGuy posted you should only need an analog radio. There is a nice Uniden Bct15 base station in the classifieds for just over $100. That is a great radio for analog air. Good luck.

Last edited: