• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Interferance between two Digital channels on different Time Slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

salarazad

Hi everyone,

We have upgraded lately our repeater (SLR5500) from Analog to Digital and now we are on DMM mode and using two Digital channels on this repeater by using different time slots (1 & 2), but with the same color code.

Now the users are complaining that sometimes an interference is occurring between the two channels, so they claim that one of the groups is listening to the other channel on the other time slot of the same repeater, is this possible to happen in such a case?

We have been using the DMM mode for almost two months, so could this also be an issue? since DMM mode is mostly used during the transition period.

My question simply, could interference happen between two digital channels on same repeater (same frequency), with same color code and different time slots; especially that we are using the DMM mode?

Many Thanks
Salar

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps they are using the digital equivalent to analog open squelch. Some DMR radios call it promiscuous mode. In this mode they will hear all traffic on a frequency independent of color code or time slot.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
As @KR3LC eludes to i would bet there is something in the programming of the talk group or personality that is not set correctly. Have the radio shop that did the conversion (analog to digital) come back out and fix it.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's far more likely that the subscriber radios are set to listen to both slots versus the repeater crossing traffic between slots.

salarazad

As @KR3LC eludes to i would bet there is something in the programming of the talk group or personality that is not set correctly. Have the radio shop that did the conversion (analog to digital) come back out and fix it.
Actually we did the programming, and we didn't set any group talks, so in the channels configuration the RX list is set to 'None'; could this be the problem?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Actually we did the programming, and we didn't set any group talks, so in the channels configuration the RX list is set to 'None'; could this be the problem?
Yes. You need to specify a talkgroup and a slot for TX and RX, or the radio will will wnt to RX anything it hears.

salarazad

Perhaps they are using the digital equivalent to analog open squelch. Some DMR radios call it promiscuous mode. In this mode they will hear all traffic on a frequency independent of color code or time slot.
I've read about the promiscuous mode and this feature is only available on non commercial radios, but we are using professional commercial radios so this should not be possible on them right?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If you don't explicitly set a RX slot, it either won't work, or will RX either slot.

salarazad

Yes. You need to specify a talkgroup and a slot for TX and RX, or the radio will will wnt to RX anything it hears.
We have set the time slots (1 for first channel, and 2 for second channel), but we didn't set a specific talk group, so the talk group option in the channel configuration is set to NONE; could this create a problem? or the time slots should be enough to prevent them from hearing each other?

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Explicitly stating the talkgroup and slot is always better IMO, unless hearing traffic on either slot is something you want..

Motorola radios will require you to specify a talkgroup "TX Contact" in order for the radio to work. It's also the only contact the radio listens for--it's not like it goes into carrier squelch.

OP:

I've heard of radios slipping timeslots if there's another repeater on frequency.

Can you narrow down the user complaints?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The repeater was specified as Motorola, but I don't see where the same is said of the subscriber units. The mention that the TX contact wasn't programmed might indicate otherwise?

salarazad

Motorola radios will require you to specify a talkgroup "TX Contact" in order for the radio to work. It's also the only contact the radio listens for--it's not like it goes into carrier squelch.

OP:

I've heard of radios slipping timeslots if there's another repeater on frequency.

Can you narrow down the user complaints?
The user complaint is that it is happening sometimes and not all the time and I also been testing it and not facing any overlap between the two channels, even so we haven't set Talk Groups at the RX side. So it is probable that this interference is happening at some special case, location or time.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
The user complaint is that it is happening sometimes and not all the time and I also been testing it and not facing any overlap between the two channels, even so we haven't set Talk Groups at the RX side. So it is probable that this interference is happening at some special case, location or time.

What make and model of portable radios are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.