BC75XLT: Interference at NASCAR races from other channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajurski

Hello, radio noob here. I am having issues with my scanner where when I have my stock antenna plugged in, I am picking up a weak signal from other channels, which makes them muffled, or when they stop transmitting on a channel, it goes to straight static, rendering the SCAN useless. When I take off the antenna, I no longer have the interference, but the signal is weak and difficult to hear. Is this something that a short antenna would solve? Or is this even a common issue? A search of the forums did not bring up anything definitive.

Thanks

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
or when they stop transmitting on a channel, it goes to straight static, rendering the SCAN useless.

What is your squelch set at? Try raising it until you start missing comms and then back it down a little.

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
For close monitoring like racing and airshows, I use a short antenna instead of the original.

Ajurski

What is your squelch set at? Try raising it until you start missing comms and then back it down a little.

I will try that, thank you. No clue what I have it set at.

For close monitoring like racing and airshows, I use a short antenna instead of the original.

Do you have a recommendation for a short antenna? I was looking around and having some difficulty in finding a short antenna with a BNC connector. Is this something that I could buy a BNC to connector type converter?

Make sure you have a pl tone on the channel if there is one. That will eliminate any interference outside of the channel.

Was reading my manual and I don't believe my scanner allows me to enter a PL tone. The higher uniden scanner (AT I believe) looks like it can.

freqseeker

Do you have a recommendation for a short antenna? I was looking around and having some difficulty in finding a short antenna with a BNC connector. Is this something that I could buy a BNC to connector type converter?
I like this Comet Miracle Baby just be sure to order from a reputable dealer as there are a lot of counterfeit antennas out there. The link is reputable, Ebay, and some Amazon sellers are a crap shoot.

N4DJC

I used a very short stubby BNC, nothing fancy.. Basically a BNC with a sealed top. That’s all I ever needed. Think I got it from Racing Radios years ago at the Coca-Cola 600.

Status
Not open for further replies.