Interference From Computer Monitors On Air Bands

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Hello all, recently a few family members installed a couple of computer monitors for their gaming setups and now I am receiving interference on the Airbands. I noticed that each monitor will interfere will their own set of freqs, one interferes with some on the commercial/civilian bands and the other one on some MilAir freqs.

I searched Google trying to find a solution to this issue and I found I could use Ferrite beads but I'm not sure if the interference is coming from the screens themselves or the power cords.

So to sum up what would be the best brand of Ferrite beads to purchase? And would it be best to add them to my coax cables or too their monitor power cords (if it is their power cords causing the issues)

merlin

Go to the source, there are clamp on ferrite filters that will accomodate both power and video cablels.
If the monitors have outboard PSU, adding one to the power cable also.
That should reduce your interferance. If not, then separate the best you can, and also try a different service line if possible.

TAC4

Try the ferrite beads, a big bag is not super expensive. Most are from China so really no great brands. Try the source first then
your rig next. Most likely it will be the screens unfortunately.
Led anything wrecks havoc on most of the RF spectrum.
VHF being the worse.

The SDR listeners have the same frustrations with the vary
same monitors that they need to use for the SDR box get
interference "spurs" on there waterfall display.

I went with portable radios and tablets only in my house and
have been in EMI free heaven. I hate computers, way to bulky
and way to much EMI in my opinion. In your case you might
have to set up a time schedule with your family members.

Last edited:

rivardj

Premium Subscriber
Hello all, recently a few family members installed a couple of computer monitors for their gaming setups and now I am receiving interference on the Airbands. I noticed that each monitor will interfere will their own set of freqs, one interferes with some on the commercial/civilian bands and the other one on some MilAir freqs.

I searched Google trying to find a solution to this issue and I found I could use Ferrite beads but I'm not sure if the interference is coming from the screens themselves or the power cords.

So to sum up what would be the best brand of Ferrite beads to purchase? And would it be best to add them to my coax cables or too their monitor power cords (if it is their power cords causing the issues)
Do not purchase random ferrite beads from Amazon, ask me how I know. The ones I purchased did not state what the ferrite mix in those beads is and they did nothing to mitagate my noise issues.

Purchase from a reliable source that states what the ferrite mix is in their product, the correct mix did the trick for my issue.

Do some reaserch be fore you buy.

wtp

to the OP.
usually distance helps.
but i guess you have tried that.
antennas and screens as far away as possible.
i get a funny effect, with my main PC, if the screen goes white or mostly white, i get an open carrier on 272.2
so i then click on anything to get rid on it. i guess that is maximum output.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
All good ideas, and I'll add what I've found in a few cases to be another one. Sometimes a simple change in the HDMI cable (or Dell port, whatever) being used can solve the problem. One of different lengths has on more than one occasion solved RFI issues I've had. Worth a try anyway, I'd say.

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
All good ideas, and I'll add what I've found in a few cases to be another one. Sometimes a simple change in the HDMI cable (or Dell port, whatever) being used can solve the problem. One of different lengths has on more than one occasion solved RFI issues I've had. Worth a try anyway, I'd say.
Also, make sure your HDMI cable (if that's what is used) is shielded.

John_S

Premium Subscriber
Fair Rite is another good source. They're site has spec charts for the sizes and the mix of ferrite materials. Once you find the part number, you can order of Digikey or Mouser.

db_gain

Often you can move the qrm freqs by changing refresh rate at the monitor. Otherwise making sure each mon is grounded to the pc and has ferrite cores on every cable.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber

If you are close to the display with your antenna, nothing will help that. Otherwise good ferrites both on the HDMI cables, the power for the monitor, and on the power for the PC itself. you did not say if the interference was broadband or on discrete frequencies.

JustinWHT

Hello all, recently a few family members installed a couple of computer monitors for their gaming setups and now I am receiving interference on the Airbands.
Reminds me when I worked in a cubicle with a jerk in next cubicle. My desktop AC powered fan caused my monitor to freak out, so I moved it to corner of my desk... Right behind his monitor on other side of wall.

EuropeanUser

/\/\ember
I find that my radios stop at 121.5 a lot when scanning close to my computer monitors which was concerning until I realized it was just some weak spurious emissions. Moved the radio a little further away (about 1 meter/3ft) and it was fine.

How far from the monitors do you have this issue?

MiCon

Mike
Move all of the computers & related equipment to one room, and line the walls & ceiling & floor of that room with metal foil. :LOL:

wtp

available at home depot
r-tech-foam-board-insulation-320821-64_100.jpg

aluminium foil rigid insulation and cuts easy. polyfoam middle.
4 feet by 8 feet. about $20 a board.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I find that my radios stop at 121.5 a lot when scanning close to my computer monitors which was concerning until I realized it was just some weak spurious emissions. Moved the radio a little further away (about 1 meter/3ft) and it was fine.

How far from the monitors do you have this issue?

From across the house for one monitor and below my radio room for the other one.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
I find that my radios stop at 121.5 a lot when scanning close to my computer monitors which was concerning until I realized it was just some weak spurious emissions.
That's interesting. When driving around, I've often noticed that I get a similar spurious signal when I pass by many banks. The signal is always on 243.0, the military UHF guard frequency. Probably has something to do with a particular brand of security system.

Benkasey

Premium Subscriber
I frequently listen to AM radio in my car. Recently I was driving back from Mountain View (South Bay) at night. My radio was tuned to KFI AM 640 out of Los Angeles. Reception was decent. As I was driving along the highway the signal became totally oblitered. I noticed that running parallel to the highway were several miles of nigh tension power line towers. It crushed the AM signal. The signal didn't come back until the highway diverged further inland from the towers. Is this legal? Is the utility obligated to remediate the interference?