Interference from RS 20-047

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Has anyone ever noticed their RS programming cable 20-047 generating interference in the VHF band?

I was listening to my local SO on 155.2500 when I noticed some bad interference. I started playing with one of my Motorola handhelds with an open squelch and initially determined the interference was coming from my Mac mini. I'd shut it down, interference gone, bring it back up, interference returns....over and over.

At first I thought (stupidly) it was a VGA monitor signal causing the problem. I began to shut down my system so I could eliminate the VGA. In doing so, I shut down the Virtual Machine running on my Mac which was running Win 7 and Pro96com... which was actively reading data from my Pro 197. As soon as I stopped the Virtual Machine, the interference stopped. The light-bulb lit up in my head, and I tracked the (very severe) interference to the 20-047!

I tossed together a video to illustrate:
VHF Interference from 20-047 - YouTube

I'm glad I found the source, but must admit I'm rather shocked. Also glad it wasn't my Mac mini to blame!

kf4uuz

Very interesting video. I *never* would have thought the 20-047 could possibly cause this issue.

Good detective work.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

sphipps

Nice Youtube video! That will come in handy for folks experiencing this problem and doing a search.

I've never noticed any interference problems using the 20-546 cable.

SCPD

QRT
I appreciate the comments...thanks.

I wonder if anyone can confirm these findings.

The configuration is simple... its a Pro 197 sending control channel data via RS 20-047 and barfing RF around 155.2500.

Status
Not open for further replies.