Interference in Glendale

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2339; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

I hung out in downtown Glendale at Murphy Park for a short while around noon, scanning and searching around with my GRE PSR-500. I noticed that there is a lot of widespread interference throughout the 700 range. (I used the analyze function, as well as the Signal Stalker and search features of the scanner.)
I'm going to try to get out to the Glitter & Glow special event there tomorrow night. But between the interference, and the noise level of the crowds and entertainment there, I don't expect to be able to hear much, public safety wise, on my scanner.
Yes, I do have an earpiece. I used it last year, but without much luck. I think noise canceling headphones would almost be necessary to block out the noise. But that still leaves the RFI issue.
Has anyone else dealt with this issue in the downtown area as well?

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2339; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

It was difficult to hear the scanner due to the noise of the crowd and the entertainment, however, I did manage to catch some stuff.
PD was on G-deck 10, Interop J.
TEAM event security was on 463.425, with a DCS of 654.
I believe event organizers may have been on 467.900.
There was another unidentified user on GMRS 462.675.
And the biggest surprise, 26.250 (yes, HF) was a broadcast link. I believe it was ABC15, who had an ENG van there.
Was anyone else there, who may have caught additional frequencies?

Last edited:

mm

Man I feel sorry for anyone who uses these new scanners and it sounds like they really suck because Glendale sounds great on my xts5000 with no affiliate scan setup.

And the Bluetooth earpiece makes for a nice discrete listening experience plus no multipath issues either With the xts and basically at 500 dollars for a 700/800 and another uhf radio and programming equipment it's still better than a crap uniden or whistler any day.

Last edited:

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
Man I feel sorry for anyone who uses these new scanners and it sounds like they really suck because Glendale sounds great on my xts5000 with no affiliate scan setup.

And the Bluetooth earpiece makes for a nice discrete listening experience plus no multipath issues either With the xts and basically at 500 dollars for a 700/800 and another uhf radio and programming equipment it's still better than a crap uniden or whistler any day.

You get what you pay for. But the scanner can do plenty of things that you cant do with that moto on other bands. I would love to have the radio you have but I don't really have the money and if I did I would end up carrying it and a scanner which would be bulky. Wish scanners worked as well as your radio does.

jim202

The real problem with most of the scanners on the market today is the front end is poorly designed. The person that designed it has no understanding of a heavy RF location. Plus they don't understand how to design a front end of the receiver that won't overload.

A good part of the problem would go away with a different part selection for the first RF am device they use. Even Motorola has their design problems. Some years back I was working with another RF engineer on a Micor, low band repeater. We changed out the first RF amp in the receiver for a different device and gained all sorts of sensitivity and the intermod and overload problems went away.

The pressure to design a working, cheap receiver means the difference between choosing a $0.50 cent part and one that cost $2.50 for a better transistor. Upper management is always on your case to keep cost to a minimum. It might not seem much to us, but the bottom line over 10,000 scanners is a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.