Interference on DC Fire 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

usfsengine

Hello all. I heard someone on Douglas County Fire 1, cussing up a storm. They were having a private conversation & decided to drop the "F" BOMB numerous times. The dispatcher made it clear this is a Primary Fire channel. She also said there location is being traced. The other party never answered her. Is it actually possible for someone to trace a radio location from dispatch? Also what about taking the TX Freq. off of all DC Public safety Frequencies. There is no legit reason to have it, if all of us are using a scanner. DCMON did you hear this traffic, what was the outcome? I HATE it when people talk non sense on a Public Safety Channel, Its there for Safety Purposes not being funny. Any input?

Dylan

Baker845

usfsengine thats good idea, DCMON could you get those tx freqs removed off the data base here or the person thats up dates the oregon info, i dont like that info on there as well, that person can be traced if disp records the traffic or radio progranmmed some how to do so, that person can be in big trouble if found.

DCMon

Tracking

I have heard through sources that the new radios in the system broadcast an id in their signal. When a unit transmits an id appears on a screen in dispatch and they also know which tower is picking up the signal. I did hear some open mic problems this evening but never heard anyone talking.
As far as removing the input frequencies from here. It could be done but they are available other places so I don't really know how much it would help. I have both freq's in my scanners in case reception is bad and I am close enough to hear the unit if necessary. If those in charge want to take those off I have no problem with that happening.
I actually helped catch some thief's years ago who stole a radio. They would key it up and say foul things but were on a channel not many listened to but me. I called the police and they switched to it and tracked it down to a public works shop where the burglars were still going through things when caught. I am one of those that listens to all channels and sometimes it pays off.

firebus29

"Book-burning" is wrong!

usfsengine said:
Also what about taking the TX Freq. off of all DC Public safety Frequencies. There is no legit reason to have it, if all of us are using a scanner.

Put some thought into this...there are many good, legitimate reasons to have this data. Why in the world would you want to censor this knowledge which is, by the way, readily available in other areas of the internet? Having it posted in the Radio Reference data base merely makes it much easier to access. Isn't this the a basic principal behind the database?

I appreciate the work done by others to research this information and get it posted to the Radio Reference database. Keep up the great work submitters, database administrators and fellow information users.

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
it could be that someone at home got a hold of 'daddy's' radio and thought it would be cool to play walkie talkie on it.

Baker845

firebus29 i under stand that the info should be here, Also if you put so much thought in this post, you should put some thought in writing or talking to some of are state and govt Political peolpe asking them why they are passing laws to encrypt and to censor radio freqs or systems. Eugene and Springfield PD and soon Lane County SH are encrypting on all or some of there TG on new system. ???

Last edited:

firebus29

Baker845 said:
firebus29 I under stand that the info should be here, Also if you put so
much thought in this post, you should put some thought in writing or talking to some of are state
and govt Political peolpe asking them why they are passing laws to encrypt and to censor radio
freqs or systems. Eugene and Springfield PD and soon Lane County SH are encrypting on all or
some of there TG on new system. ???

I believe that you are mixing apples with oranges as these are two distinctly different issues.
In answer to your suggestion of quizzing politicians as to their reasoning (in relation to
encryption), who in the hell knows why politicians do anything. Even if one of them would respond to
such an inquiry, I would certainly not place much validity in their answers.

The mis-use of the frequency last week was probably just as icom1020 postulates, a child with
access to an official fire radio. I believe that we can rest assured that it was not caused by any
information found in the Radio Reference database. Removal of DB information would not
deter children from their mischief, nor would it change any political actions in reference to
encrypting land mobile radio. Such exclusion (censoring) would not benefit any public service
agency in any manner. It would only serve to deprive legitimate hobbyists of a hassle-free
manner of recovering valid information.

I have put some thought into the issue and conclude that this is not an on-going problem here in
Douglas County and most certainly does not warrant the removal of information from our
database.

Thanks.

usfsengine

Well let me chime in here and give a little update to what I heard on DC Fire 1. I found out that this radio was stolen from a Volunteer Fire Department that I just so happened to be a member of. No it wasnt me that took the radio. I found out from the Asst. Chief It was a Motorola XTS 5000 radios. It tx's the unit & vehicle number when the PTT is depressed, so Douglas County Dispatch knew whos radio it was, they just couldnt get them to shut-up. These are the ultimate radios so to speak, with a price tag of $5,000.00 they should do back flips. I'm not going to say what department it was to shield them from further embaressment. So firebus you were right, for now we can leave the TX freqs up. Thanks for the conversation. We'll chat later.

Baker845

thank you for usfsengine for update. The info here should be here as long as it used wisely for hobbl. Glad it wasnt some one else miss useing them. Thats to bad to here that vol. firefighter took the radio, cant trust anyone any more.. Firebus nonthing personal my first post just puting small light on whats going on with are hobby,if you ever on the oregon coast Reedsport or Florence area let me know.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Late to this thread but I'll throw in my $0.02 anyway. It's good to have the input (TX) frequencies in the database for reference.

My guess is that children who borrow radios or thieves that steal them cause more interference to radio systems than some idiot who bothers to buy a radio, programming cable, programming software, can manage to figure it all out, and then transmits just for fun. That's an expensive prank.

firebus29

Hooray for our Oregon Forum !!!

I would define “forum” as an arena, within which ideas are examined, discussed and debated. It appears that this is exactly what has happened here in the Oregon Forum.

Usfsengine, thanks for bringing this situation to our attention in the first place. Let’s hope the thief is caught and the equipment is returned to your department soon. I hope to meet you someday. I believe that we probably share some mutual experiences.

Baker845, I perceived nothing personal in your reply. I appreciated hearing your view and although I disagreed with it, I can certainly understand where you were coming from...thanks for your input. I would surely enjoy meeting you sometime over at the coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.