Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomast77

Just started getting interested in doing some Fed scanning. I am using the fed com scanning list and I am getting a lot of interference from the weather broadcast band. I have to lockout channels. There is one instance of communications on a freq of 170.6375. Every time they keyed up and spoke I heard weather and I could not even make out what they were saying. Any Ideas anyone?

jim202

Just started getting interested in doing some Fed scanning. I am using the fed com scanning list and I am getting a lot of interference from the weather broadcast band. I have to lockout channels. There is one instance of communications on a freq of 170.6375. Every time they keyed up and spoke I heard weather and I could not even make out what they were saying. Any Ideas anyone?

I suspect your having an intermod problem. Just which weather channel is causing the problem? How far away is the weather transmitter from you?

My guess is that if you subtract the weather channel from the 170.6375, your going to find it is close to the IF in your scanner. It doesn't have to be exact, but just even close will cause a problem if the transmitter is close enough. Not much you can do but find another scanner with a different IF. Your other choice is to move.

cg

Premium Subscriber
I had a similar problem with a PRO197 which is notorious for overloading. I used a PAR notch filter that was successful in allowing me to monitor all but a small portion of the band. If I recall, it was around $80.

chris

thomast77

I suspect your having an intermod problem. Just which weather channel is causing the problem? How far away is the weather transmitter from you?

My guess is that if you subtract the weather channel from the 170.6375, your going to find it is close to the IF in your scanner. It doesn't have to be exact, but just even close will cause a problem if the transmitter is close enough. Not much you can do but find another scanner with a different IF. Your other choice is to move.

There are about 3 weather channels in my area the closest is probably 15-20 miles away. I thought I read that the IF can be changed on the bc396xt. But wouldn't that just move the intermod some where else in the same band?

thomast77

I had a similar problem with a PRO197 which is notorious for overloading. I used a PAR notch filter that was successful in allowing me to monitor all but a small portion of the band. If I recall, it was around $80.

chris

I have thought about this Par makes a filter specifically for weather band intermod. I may have to go this route to monitor 162-174 which is the only place I have found this problem so far.

ecps92

a few thoughts come into play.

a.) IS there really traffic on 170.6375 ? or are you getting a mix from something else, Plus the NWS [Cabs, Paging etc]
b.) IS the actual RPTR/Transmitter getting whacked by the NWS
c.) See CG's posting about a filter on your end.

curious who and what tone is being used on 170.6375 [which part of FLA?]

thomast77

a few thoughts come into play.

a.) IS there really traffic on 170.6375 ? or are you getting a mix from something else, Plus the NWS [Cabs, Paging etc]
b.) IS the actual RPTR/Transmitter getting whacked by the NWS
c.) See CG's posting about a filter on your end.

curious who and what tone is being used on 170.6375 [which part of FLA?]

I can not be absolutely certain what I heard as the weather broadcast made it impossible to make out. But someone was there. Every time they keyed up the weather intermod came in with there signal. Once they unkeyed the weather intermod was gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.