SDS100/SDS200: Intermittent Sub CPU Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
Occasionally, when I power up my SDS100, the favorite lists load, then holds on the last favorites list. This hold can last anywhere from 15 to 45 seconds. Once it finally loads, the scanner fails to scan. Turing the radio off, then on, usually corrects the issue, but not always on the first try. The issue occurs regardless if on batteries, the OEM charger and cable, or the GPS cable. The radio may momentarily flash "Sub CPU Error" after eventually loading the last favorite list, then not scan. I have changed the SD card, cleared the user data in Sentinel, reloaded AND reconstructed my database and favorite lists, to no avail. Has anyone else had this issue, and found a remedy?

Ubbe

Could it be that you have systems in your lists that the scanner can't handle? I.E. if you have programmed a NXDN system but you do not have that feature enabled in the scanner.

/Ubbe

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Occasionally, when I power up my SDS100, the favorite lists load, then holds on the last favorites list. This hold can last anywhere from 15 to 45 seconds. Once it finally loads, the scanner fails to scan. Turing the radio off, then on, usually corrects the issue, but not always on the first try. The issue occurs regardless if on batteries, the OEM charger and cable, or the GPS cable. The radio may momentarily flash "Sub CPU Error" after eventually loading the last favorite list, then not scan. I have changed the SD card, cleared the user data in Sentinel, reloaded AND reconstructed my database and favorite lists, to no avail. Has anyone else had this issue, and found a remedy?

I'd retry loading the latest firmware from Sentinel. Maybe the Sub CPU update didn't load correctly?

emscapt9816

Premium Subscriber
I'd retry loading the latest firmware from Sentinel. Maybe the Sub CPU update didn't load correctly?
I purchased the SDS100 new from Scanner Master in May. It came with the 1.10.00 firmware. I have tried reloading the firmware several times to no avail.

emscapt9816

Premium Subscriber
Could it be that you have systems in your lists that the scanner can't handle? I.E. if you have programmed a NXDN system but you do not have that feature enabled in the scanner.

/Ubbe
I checked all my favorite lists, no upgrade option systems are there. I created all the favorites in Sentinel.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
This has happened to me several times. When I change batteries the scanner will load all favorite lists, but will hang on the last one for up to a minute. The the scanner will either briefly show the sub cpu error and scan normally or it will scan 1 system of a favorite list. A restart will sometimes clear this up but sometimes I have to remove the battery and wait for a few seconds and restart the scanner and it performs normally.

I have had this happen when it’s very hot outside and the radio itself generates some heat on its own. I am using the heavy leather case from scanner master and that holds the heat even more.

I haven’t had this issue unless the scanner is very warm.

emscapt9816

Premium Subscriber
I've done the clear user data and have reloaded the favorite lists multiple times. I also use the heavy leather case. I find I have the issue regardless if its warm or first thing in the morning when its cold. The only consistency with this behavior is when it happens, its annoying.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I've done the clear user data and have reloaded the favorite lists multiple times. I also use the heavy leather case. I find I have the issue regardless if its warm or first thing in the morning when its cold. The only consistency with this behavior is when it happens, its annoying.

Pack it up and send it back...

emscapt9816

Premium Subscriber
Have you loaded an old firmware and sub firmware file try that firmware and then update through sentinel? I would try 1.05.00 sub 1.01.05

Thanks for the share in Google Drive. I've loaded the 1.05.00 as you suggested, and then updated to 1.10.00 through Sentinel. I will see how the radio performs over the next few days.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I've done the clear user data and have reloaded the favorite lists multiple times. I also use the heavy leather case.
I would be cautious about using a thick case with the SDS100. It runs hot even when naked, and a heavy case is only going to make it hotter, and that could potentially affect reliability on occasion.

emscapt9816

Premium Subscriber
I would be cautious about using a thick case with the SDS100. It runs hot even when naked, and a heavy case is only going to make it hotter, and that could potentially affect reliability on occasion.
Hi Jon, glad you're back. I'm using the hard leather case from Scanner Master. The case is vented. As I mentioned earlier, the issue occurred regardless of temperature. seth21w helped me out with reloading an older firmware, then I updated the new firmware through Sentinel. So far, so good, I'm testing it for the next couple of days.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
The radio may momentarily flash "Sub CPU Error" after eventually loading the last favorite list, then not scan. I have changed the SD card, cleared the user data in Sentinel, reloaded AND reconstructed my database and favorite lists, to no avail. Has anyone else had this issue, and found a remedy?
I have tried reloading the firmware several times to no avail.
I've done the clear user data and have reloaded the favorite lists multiple times.
I updated the new firmware through Sentinel. So far, so good, I'm testing it for the next couple of days.

Glad you tried to load the firmware again..:unsure:(y)

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
The missing piece was the old firmware. Sentinel kept giving back the message that I had the most updated firmware.

Main and Sub have to be downloaded in this case or your scanner will not work properly as yours didn't. Their are times where no Sub firmware upgrade is needed. Currently Main: 1.10/Sub 1.02.01.

emscapt9816

Premium Subscriber
Update: After three months of intermittent issues, I finally sent the radio in to Uniden Repair, and it's now on its way back to me. I was finally able to replicate the issue consistently by making the radio colder than the ambient temperature. The Uniden Repair Order lists the parts used as "Control Board" and "S1". I should have it back in a couple of days. We'll see...

emscapt9816

Premium Subscriber
Another Update: I received the radio this morning. It was cold from the Northeast weather. The radio fired right up and loaded the Favorite Lists without issue. Previously, if the radio was cold, the lists would not load, and the radio would not receive. Now that the radio has been operating for a couple of hours, I've cycled the power and reprogrammed it a few times, all without issue. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.