AR-DV10 Internal images and tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodpecker

If they've been adding more pointless "features" rather than just fixing the broken mess, there is a high probability they've introduced a load of new errors.

c0ne

By announcing the September firmware release AOR have put themselves into a corner, they are under pressure to release something - or loose even more credibility - whether the "something" will be of any use and not just cosmetic changes, we will have to wait and see..

Mike

It was their choice to waste time on a IQ recording feature, it shouldn’t even be on the roadmap yet. First you fix what is broken, before you break other things. But having said that, they never considered the drift being a bug or whatsoever, they considered it a feature improvement and that kinda says all.

c0ne

To this date there still isn’t any remote control commands list, that everyone was adviced to wait for before using the remote control. But they find time to do a beta hamfair release, it makes no sense. Looks a bunch of development hobbyists without any structural approach.

—Fin

woodpecker

To this date there still isn’t any remote control commands list, that everyone was adviced to wait for before using the remote control. But they find time to do a beta hamfair release, it makes no sense. Looks a bunch of development hobbyists without any structural approach.

They are all over the place with it, even the manual states:-

"The receiver can be remotely controlled from a PC by using serial commands.
The command list can be downloaded on our website."

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
It was their choice to waste time on a IQ recording feature, it shouldn’t even be on the roadmap yet. First you fix what is broken, before you break other things. But having said that, they never considered the drift being a bug or whatsoever, they considered it a feature improvement and that kinda says all.
Hello,

I was in a software development situation where the marketing department and management was pushing new features. The result was "legacy" support completion and a couple of major bugs remained unfixed for a couple of years. There was some push back from developers, but it did little to change the situation.

Since serial commands are unpublished, AOR may consider any serial command problems as low priority.

73 Eric

woodpecker

Since serial commands are unpublished, AOR may consider any serial command problems as low priority.
73 Eric

Since its described in the manual and even says there is a list to download (which there isn't) they should make it high priority along with the frequency drift/error problem.

They sold the DV10 with remote control via serial commands as a listed feature.

G7HID

It is assumed that a third party manufactures the DV10 for AOR and that a certain amount of support is factored into the pricing, the problem comes when an unexpected fault rears it's head, Is it a manufacturing problem or a mistake of AOR when laying down the specifications ?
If it is a manufacturing fault the manufacturers are obligated to a certain amount of reparations, but if the problem originates with AOR they would be expected to pay for the corrections....
The thing is AOR must have signed off on the product - unless they are stupid... and the blame cannot be placed on the manufacturer, it is all down to AOR, they can either:
Keep quiet and hope nobody notices
If anybody notices, label them as trouble makers by commercial friends and allies
Alter the specification to match the product
Generate rumours of future unspecified fixes
Come clean and pay the manufacturer to fix it or modify it
But in all cases say as least as possible - directly, admit nothing ...

Mike

TMac20

By announcing the September firmware release AOR have put themselves into a corner, they are under pressure to release something - or loose even more credibility - whether the "something" will be of any use and not just cosmetic changes, we will have to wait and see..

Mike

You are 100% right, it's a disgrace when it was meant to be August now September, sure things happen that obviously none of us know internally what is going on, but nevertheless, for the price of the unit, the major issues raised early on not one of us that own the DV10 deserve to be in this position.

TMac20

Correct - the most fundamental things have to be working 100%, why on earth the current way forward is the direction they have taken no one has answered for me, and I have asked several times, it's always skirted around. Sticking to the basics from a Dev/QA perspective it's also the easiest approach without introducing some other issues with a new feature.

I'm going to throw it out there, I could be totally wrong, I suspect they are on the back foot because of the Icom ICR30.

Make no mistake they are smart engineers with a strong track record of quality (for the most part) - something has gone horribly wrong in the whole release/approach to correct the issues in a timely manner. I'll take it further, several should never have been there in the first place.

c0ne

Correct - the most fundamental things have to be working 100%, why on earth the current way forward is the direction they have taken no one has answered for me, and I have asked several times, it's always skirted around. Sticking to the basics from a Dev/QA perspective it's also the easiest approach without introducing some other issues with a new feature.

I'm going to throw it out there, I could be totally wrong, I suspect they are on the back foot because of the Icom ICR30.

Make no mistake they are smart engineers with a strong track record of quality (for the most part) - something has gone horribly wrong in the whole release/approach to correct the issues in a timely manner. I'll take it further, several should never have been there in the first place.

Atleast by now we know that rubbing shoulders doesn't work either, You did your best... It looks like they gave up on being a respectable company, if they cant even keep their promises. All they had to do is give a reason for the delay, if they just said we need more time to get things perfect i would have been ok with it. But instead they went silent. Goob job AOR

-- fin

c0ne

As predicted.

Months on and they haven't fixed the basic bugs and got remote commands working, maybe they've given up and abandoned it.

Maybe that's indeed the best thing for them to do, walk away from it and give up. My tomacochi has better support than this device.

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
The PPM FACTOR

Surely we must allow for AOR's newly introduced numbering system, that they added as a special function to the DV10's frequency display?

You may assume that September 2018 would show as 092018, but allowing for 5 PPM (give or take an unspecified/unknown PPM error that is documented in their Manual Addendum), that could easily equate to 092019, or even higher.

So we cannot complain if their announcement of a firmware upgrade in September did not materialise in 2018, as their 'special' numbering feature may mean the next one is due in September 2019/2020 or even later. Bless them.

TMac20

built

I think you'll love it. It's also built like a tank, very solidly constructed. The GPS also activates in just a few secs, even indoors, no minutes long waits.

Have the unit now - amazing, and it just works as it should. Firmware update was so fast I literally blinked and the update was completed.

No hesitation in recommending the Icom ICR30 to anyone. I will add any comments in Icom threads as the weeks progress.

TMac20

Hello

Well, another week another update - literally verbatim from the email on the firmware update status when asked - I know it's not definitive as usual but passing it on regardless;

-------------------------------

" You may probably get the updates later in this week or even next week."

c0ne

Hello

Well, another week another update - literally verbatim from the email on the firmware update status when asked - I know it's not definitive as usual but passing it on regardless;

" You may probably get the updates later in this week or even next week."

Maybe its safe to say, i believe it when i see it.

palmerjrusa

Have the unit now - amazing, and it just works as it should. Firmware update was so fast I literally blinked and the update was completed.

No hesitation in recommending the Icom ICR30 to anyone. I will add any comments in Icom threads as the weeks progress.

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.