Internet link with FT1900r? also antenna question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ref-Jazzy

I have had this radio a while now, mostly just listen and chit chat on a local repeater. Last night I was surfing through the manual to get an idea as to its other features and such. It has an internet link button on it, and that works with the dtmf inputs. I don't quite understand what his is all about, Can some one give me an idea as to how this works exactly?

also:

My friends and I plan on building this antenna
QHA

this weekend. Do you think this will work with my radio or damage it?

Thanks a ton

W2NJS

You can probably get just as good results with a quarter-wave or 5/8-wave vertical antenna on VHF, on your vehicle or outside your location on the roof or in the attic.

That special antenna won't hurt your radio unless you build it so that the frequency you're using to transmit has a very high SWR. The design of the antenna, except for performance, is of no consequence in the receive mode.

Wouldn't the 1900's manual tell you what the "internet link" button is used for?

Ref-Jazzy

i read the bit in the manual about it, but I don't quite understand how it all works, I didnt know if any one here would have a good link that would explain it.

The antenna we are building we plan on using for rx'ing a noaa satellite

W2PMX

The only way you can hurt the radio on receiving is if you build an antenna that's also a signal generator. (Or you put the antenna too close to another transmitter.) Even if the antenna isn't resonant on the frequency you're receiving, and the VSWR is over 10:1, it won't hurt the receiver, you'll just have poor reception. (If having no antenna or a dead short [a VSWR of infinity in either case] can't hurt the receiver, no antenna can.)

Just don't transmit into it until you make sure that the VSWR is 3:1 or less at the transmit frequency.

fineshot1

Vertex/Yaesu Wires II

The Yaesu linking feature you are asking about is an internet linking
protocol that Vertex/Yaesu came up with - its pretty similar to the
IRLP or EchoLink internet linking thats been around for awhile.

W I R E S - I I

It is not very well explained in your 1900 manual so read up on it
via the link above. Apparently your model radio is equipped to
connect to this linking technology.

Ref-Jazzy

thank you all so much for the info. I think i understand the whole internet linking thing now, and thanks for the help on the antenna, once we get something from the satellite, ill be sure to post it on the board

Status
Not open for further replies.